Mac Pro Book Newbie Needs Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinwashkly, Jan 5, 2010.

1. kinwashkly macrumors newbie

Hello, we currently just bought a new mac pro lap top, we love it, we also have an older i mac with mac 10.4.11, we have about 5000 pictures in I photo that i would like transfered over to my laptop, what would be the easiest way? i tried migration assistance but coudent figure that out, my lap top is hooked up thru a wireless conection

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Hello,
    I was in the same boat two years ago. If the migration is confusing, try a simpler way. A safe option would be to get an external HD and copy and paste. Then copy and paste the pics from the HD to your new mac. I hope that helps.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it's just pictures you want to transfer over, the easiest way (don't want to further trouble you with Migration Assistant if you haven't got it yet) is to burn all the pictures to a disc or use an external hard drive.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Copy and paste, or i would compress and stick it on a dvd. There is multiple ways of getting it to your computer, i think that whole migration thing is a joke. When i switched over i just saved all of my important stuff to a drive and just copied it to my mac. The biggest pain was switching from dell jukebox to itunes.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Migration assistant was gold back in 10.4 and even in 10.5 until Apple started to take ports away from their computers. It was almost fool proof with FireWire 400, just follow Migration Assistant and there would be no problems. Now through ethernet, over network, MA would fail more than it worked. I guess now that media is cheaper than ever, why bother with MA?

6. kinwashkly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, I will try the transfering over to a portable hard drive

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Target Disk mode via Firewire. Fast and easy.

8. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Ports aren't that big an issue

You can use ethernet cables, or do what I did - purchase a firewire 400 to 800 crossover cable - works like a charm!

Migration Assistant is awesome. A couple of clicks, walk away and you are good to go in a couple of hours.

9. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Invest in an EXTERNAL DRIVE.

VERY important in the computer age.

Once you've loaded up the external with all your files as a BACKUP source, you can put all or some of the files back on the local MBP drive.

It might even be wise to have a second back up. I'm not kidding. Externals fail - some can be recovered but others fail without this ability. In otherwords, if it fails you're SOOL.

Lost memories.

Tips on selecting an external:
    http://www.consumersearch.com/external-hard-drives/important-features