Mac Pro Boot Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by silver0white, Oct 1, 2010.

1. silver0white macrumors newbie

I have a booting problem with my 8-core (2009) Mac pro

When i cold boot, the computer boots past the apple logo....and then i'm presented with two blank blue screens (dual monitor setup).

If i screen share from another computer, it shows me the computer has booted and works. If i then put it to sleep and wake it, i can then see the desktop fine. However both the wireless keyboard and mouse don't work. (well, the mouse moves, but doesn't click)

If i restart the computer, everything works fine. Its purely a problem when i switch the mains on at the wall to start the computer in the morning. (i.e i can replicate the issue, by switching it off at the mains, and starting over)

i have tried all the usual suspects for troubleshooting.
    zapping the p-ram, repairing permissions from the boot disk, reseating the ram and graphics cards. And finally re-installing osx, which solved the problem, but as soon as i did the snow leopard graphics update it created the problem again.

Anybody else have this problem, and know a workaround?

thanks in advance

Jim

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try reinstalling OS X but don't install the graphics update if that is what caused the problem before

3. silver0white thread starter macrumors newbie

well yeah, last resort, thats my Plan-B. Its taken an absolute age to get everything back on the mac how i like it only to get the problem again...

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can just reinstall the OS X, no need to do a clean install. That way all of your files will stay there but the system files are replaced

5. silver0white thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ycookmd macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem last night.

I have an eternal eSATA HD connected, and I was trying to connect 2 additional external HDs via FW800. Disk Utility lost my eSATA drive for some reason, so I rebooted with all 3 drives connected. I got the gong and the Apple logo but after that just the blank blue screen. After a while I tried to use the power button to shut it down, but it went into sleep mode instead. When I re-woke the computer my desktop appeared and the mouse cursor would move but not click. I ended up have to use the power button to shut down & restart. When it came back up everything was fine.

The blue screen & mouse issue sounds curiously like yours, although I have only 1 monitor now and I am not turning power on and off at the wall.

7. silver0white thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorted the problem, thanks for your help. Updated everything but the graphics update.

Will have to wait and see what future updates bring to the system, but at least i know there's a way out of the problem that isn't too much of a hassle

@ycookmd, glad your problem resolved itself after a simple boot. Wish it could have been that simple for me!