Mac Pro Boot Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by John Jordan, Nov 18, 2008.

1. John Jordan macrumors newbie

Hello-

Last night, I went to boot my Mac ('08 pro, dual 2.8's, 10 gig RAM- 8 from OWC, OS completely up to date) and it hung up. Just the fan was running and the light above the button flashing, no tone form the OS either.

I held the button in to shut it down and tried again... nothing the next time it fired up. I then did a repair permissions. Today it booted fine although dreamweaver was freezing up at times. Tonight, I went to boot up again and the same thing, it booted on the third try.

A few days back, there was an upgrade for itunes, might this be the culprit or might it be the power supple or memory?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Best,

John

2. John Jordan thread starter macrumors newbie

Possible Problem

Just checked the memory and 4 of the 6 DIMMs are not being recognized.

I'll do some playing and see what happens.

3. John Jordan thread starter macrumors newbie

Re-Seated All the RAM

Now all 10 gigs is being recognized and the Mac fired right up.

Any thoughts are still very much welcomed!!

John

4. frimple macrumors 6502

Did you recently purchase the memory? It's time consuming, but you could test the DIMMs one at a time (a faster approach would be a few at a time and I'd start with the original Apple ones). Remove the memory you're not testing and see if it boots 6-8 times consecutively. If it does for a pair and not for another you can narrow down the bad DIMMs. If the random behavior keeps up throughout the testing I'd say you've got a solid case to go to apple for replacement (hope it's still under warranty!).

5. John Jordan thread starter macrumors newbie

RAM Good

Reseating the RAM in the cards has solved the problem. It's booting fine again.

I've been using this added memory since March or April.

Thanks for the reply,

John