Mac Pro Boot Up (Chime) Time

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ironic23, May 17, 2007.

1. ironic23 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a 2.66GHz MP with 6gb of ram, 7300 geforce card, 250gb (stock) HD with airport + bluetooth on a 23" ACD.

I've been noticing that it takes a good 5 seconds after i hit the power button and the light comes up to when i hear the chime.

Is that normal? I've repaired permissions and stuff. I've got XP Pro on bootcamp if that has anything to do with it.

How long does your MP take from the time when you hit the power button to when you hear the chime? thanks!

p/s: i did a search in the forums but didnt find anything.

2. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Sounds like mine -- 2.66/3GB/x1900.

Power button [beat], [beat], x1900 fans whirr for 2-3 seconds, [beat], Bong.

It has nothing to do with software, or disks -- the chime is entirely dependent upon the hardware passing the initialization test (which, nowadays, with lots of RAM and vRAM, probably takes a little longer than it did on the old SE/30 -- which seemed instantaneous).

3. Winterfell macrumors regular

I realize you're on a Mac Pro, but five seconds or so seems about right on my MacBook Pro.

I wouldn't really worry about it unless you really are seeing performance issues when you use the computer. In all likelyhood it's just paranoia (hey, we all get that way with things we love). ;)

4. ironic23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Phew. I don't feel so scared after all. It's as if the machine is trying to pre-cool itself before anything starts with the fans whirring first and all.

5. ironic23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, you're right about paranoia. Hehe. I've never seen anything like that on my MBP though? It's usually hit the button, quick white screen + bong. Maybe you need to look into it. :D

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

For what its worth, I power up my ibook, e.g. press power button then like 2 3 seconds later it chimes.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

How old is your iBook dude? 23 seconds! Or did you mean 2 or 3. As for my MB, press the power button, disk drive makes a sound (hardware test?) and BONG! However the MB and MP have such a difference in specs...

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

2 or 3 seconds, mine is the last revision of the iBook g4s

9. evanbanalian macrumors newbie

I have the same problem

My 12 core 2x2.66 with 16GB ram 2x8GB takes about 20sec from start to chime than after that it's very fast with my ssd drive about 20sec and it's up.