Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I have a question regarding playing windows games via bootcamp on a Mac Pro

Currently I have a Mac Pro quad 2.66ghz, with the standaard Geforce 7300GT
However this videocard is not sufficient to cope with the most recent games in all of their glory

The Mac Pro mainly serves as a music-production machine, but now I'd love to start gaming some as well...

However I was thinking of buying a more high end videocard (8800 GT or alike).
I know these cards are NOT supported by Mac OS X.
However I read the following on wikipedia:

"It is important to note that even though the Mac Pro uses industry standard PCIe X16 expansion slots (which are used for modern PCIe X16 video cards), a user cannot simply buy a new PCIe X16 video card and install it into a Mac Pro and use it normally. Using a standard video card will work with Windows XP or Vista under Apple's Bootcamp setup, but will not work under Mac OS X or before the machine starts to boot into Windows. The reason for this is that Apple uses the EFI BIOS, which requires a video card that features a EFI compatible video card bios. Mac OS X requires an EFI Bios, but Windows XP runs under a standard BIOS emulated with Apple's Bootcamp. Thus a Mac user could use a powerful video card, such as a GeForce 8800 GTX, under Windows on a Mac Pro. With one monitor this would require investing in a VGA/DVI video or KVM switch for the user to switch between the "Mac" video card and the new "PC" video card when the user wishes to play games or other 3D applications in Windows."

Has anyone had any experience doing this?
Will putting 2 video-cards in my Mac Pro not harm my machine?

Any help would be welcome :)

Thanks in advance

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
I had a 2.66 with the standard geforce 7300GT and put a Sapphire x1950 Pro in the second pci slot. I had to buy a special power cord to power the video card. I was running windows vista home basic and could boot just fine into mac and windows. In mac however I had to disable the card to not recieve an error.

Make sure the card works right.. for some reason the drivers for the x1950 pro did not work in vista and the card never worked properly.

Lame.

But you def can put two cards in together.

macz1

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
I had a 2.66 with the standard geforce 7300GT and put a Sapphire x1950 Pro in the second pci slot. I had to buy a special power cord to power the video card. I was running windows vista home basic and could boot just fine into mac and windows. In mac however I had to disable the card to not recieve an error..

What do you mean with "disable the card" ?

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
I am not sure if you mean in windows or macintosh os but you go change your graphics settings to use the appropriate card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.