Mac Pro Buy Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Pallando, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Pallando macrumors newbie

Hey Folks!

I am a long time lurker of these forums, but have signed up for a bit of friendly advice…

I have an old PPC Mac Mini which is a little old in the tooth now. Too slow for what I would like to do with it.

Like many people I have been waiting for the updates to the Mac line.

My current set up has my Vista PC connected to my 40" TV via a DVI to HDMI cable.

I've been thinking of getting the 2.8 8-core mac pro to replace my current Vista PC, and have this hooked up to the TV via HDMI. I definitely prefer Apple to Windows, and want to get back into Mac in a big way.

The current Mac Pro is more than powerful enough to cope with what I require it to do, in fact it's probably overkill. General PC stuff, and some gaming (WoW) and some HD Video editing. The reason I want to go with the Pro instead of the iMac is simply because I want to be able to Future Proof my purchase, and upgrade it over time.

I've just received a bonus from work of £1500 and I also receive a 10% discount via work for Apple products so I can get a fairly decent price for the Mac Pro.

I just don't know whether to pull the trigger and buy now, or wait for an even better specced Mac Pro, although even more overkill than my current needs require!

I just don't want to regret the purchase.

Should I buy or should I wait?

Regards

Pallando.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It is impossible to future-proof a computer. The only thing that you will be upgrading in the Mac Pro is RAM and the hard drive, which you can do with an iMac.

Just get an iMac.

3. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Your needs/wants say iMac, what does your wallet say for paying for it?

Also this question has been exhausted on whether to wait or buy now, try doing a search and see what others have posted in reply's to questions like yours.

READ the other posts and opinions and go from there.

4. und3rd0g macrumors newbie

30" display?

What if you want to run at 2560 x 1600 on the expected LED 30" ACD?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If a MacBook can do it, the iMac will be able to do it.

Heck, when the Mac Mini gets the 9400M, IT will be able to do it.

6. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

To me, the main future proofing the Mac Pro gives you over the iMac is support for more than 4GB of RAM. If you want to run virtualization, then extra memory definately helps.

7. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Still running my 06 first gen Intel Mac PRo..

It takes everything I throw at it in stride. I see many more years of use.

I think they are pretty long lasting. if you think about the number of good years of use you do get what you pay for.

8. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro is nicer :) Life is too short. splurge and get it.

9. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

Keep the box

The best way to future proof a Mac is to keep the box and look after it. You'll be able to resell it for more than it's worth if you have the box and it's still shiny and new-looking. Even G4's sell for actual dollars...what's up with that?

10. foodle macrumors 6502

Well, actually no. The current iMac does not support dual-link DVI output, so it cannot drive a 30" LCD at the native resolution. The new Macbooks and Macbook Pros can drive dual-link DVI output via an adapter, but the adapter seems to be very flakey (according to the reviews on Apple's site).

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Notice that I said "will".

12. foodle macrumors 6502

(1) The phrasing was at best ambiguous and could be interpreted as saying that current iMacs can do it.
    (2) Unless you have the new iMac specs that no one else does (if so please share them with us), we don't know what the new iMac models will or will not support.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't really see that, as future tense implies the future.

The new iMac will have at least the 9400M. The 9400M can do 2650x1600. Therefore, the new iMac will be able to do 2650x1600.

14. foodle macrumors 6502

Which could refer to either the future machines or the future use of current machines by the poster. So either:
    (1) iMacs will be able to do this in the future
    (2) if you buy an iMac tomorrow, it will be able to drive the display

... at any rate, this obviously isn't an important point, and may be something we'll have to agree to disagree on ...

It's not a question of graphics sub-system capabilities, but rather what port Apple includes. The current 8800GS is also capable of driving 2650x1600, but the mini-DVI port does not support it.

However, I do agree that Apple will most likely move all machines to the mini displayport standard, in which case the new iMacs should in theory be able to do this. However, given the abysmal reviews of the mini displayport to dual-link adapter (2/5 stars), this may not be the case in practice.

15. MacFan27 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat here...I'm ready for a new desktop and a great big display but the "old tech" seems to be hanging around for a while longer. 2799 and no display for what is listed isn't appealing with the new refresh coming.

16. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

If you don't have an immediate need for a new desktop system, wait.

I too am waiting for the next Mac Pro's. Though I'm sure I'd be thrilled with the improvements in the current line-up over my G5 Dual 2.0 (which still works fine), I know that by waiting for the newer, faster models, my pleasure will only be enhanced.

If you've got extra cash that must be spent, buy some bacon. Bacon is always a good buy, in my opinion.