Mac Pro Buy or Wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by englishman, Oct 10, 2009.

  1. englishman macrumors 6502a

    englishman

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #1
    I need a Mac Pro for development work in the next 9 months or so.

    But its not urgent yet ie I can wait a few months.

    Is there a new model likely in the the next 3/4 months?
     
  2. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

    KeriJane

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2009
    Location:
    ЧИКАГО!
    #2
    Probably not.

    They just came out with the Nehalem based Mac Pro.
    Intel isn't due to release any new CPUs just yet.

    It's be kind of silly for them to have an early '09 MP and a late '09 MP MP wouldn't it?

    I'd say get one now and spend the next few months getting it set up the way you want so there's no rush when you need it.

    Have Fun,
    Keri

    PS> They may well release a new 30" monitor soon.... or maybe not.
     
  3. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

    mperkins37

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #3
    If you require the power now, I would get it, if you can hold out to beginning of '10 you will probably see next rev. MacPro. there will be a lot of machines being traded in at that point & it may be a good time for a gently used model & save a buck.
     
  4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

    Dr.Pants

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #4
    Have you considered looking around the MacPro forum or Mroogle?

    The consensus is nothing new 'till Intel releases a new line of processors. Methinks Gulftown and mid-2010.
     
  5. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

    Maserati7200

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Location:
    11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    #5
    The next release, which would most likely be only a spec bump, should be around March 2010. If you can wait until then, wait. If you can't, buy one now.
     
  6. mathlete123 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    #6
    Light-Peak

    At this point, the octo core (and quad core, presumably) is future proof enough that you will be able to use it for years to come; later updates wont matter that much. The only reasonable argument for waiting is- i think- Intel's new "Light Peak" 10 gbps tech that is rumored to come out Q1 2010 for apple. If you want, that, maybe you should wait, but who knows.
     
  7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #7
    i agree with the posts above...you can buy one now and later if you think you should upgrade(if its worth) you can always sell your mac pro and buy a new one...cheers:)
     
  8. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2009
    #8
    As others have said, buy now and then upgrade if the need be, though an upgrade will be unlikely as they are AWESOME! [​IMG]
     
  9. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    englishman

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #9
    Thanks for the advice

    I think I will have to get one. Annoying as I only just replaced a MBP from refurb store - I might be able to send it back in 14 days window.

    The main reason I feel the need for MP is not so much the performance but the dual screen thing.
     
  10. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 22, 2008
    #10
    have you considered a iMac + cinema display?
     
  11. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    englishman

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #11
    I already have 2 very nice displays setup with an old Dell which I would replace with the MP. As is said on these forums so many time its a pity Apple don't do something expandable between a mini and a MP - in the uk at a sort of pricepoint between £500 and £2000 - that's a hell of a gap.
     
  12. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

    MacFanUK

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #12
    Have you considered a Mac Mini? You can hook up dual displays in those now.
     
  13. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2009
    #13
    yeah the mac mini has come on leaps and bounds as of recent... have you though about one of those for the vast cheapness of it... performance is a major killer compared to the mac pro though [​IMG]
     
  14. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    englishman

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #14
    Hey thanks - I never thought of a mini! I never thouht that it could drive 2 displays. Wow, you've saved me ££££s
     
  15. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    englishman

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #15
    Performance isn't too much of an issue - its for programming, development etc not heavy video stuff.

    In fact I could keep my Dell and just plonk it on top and switch - the more I think about it the better it is - my wife will be pleased about the money saving too!

    I LOVE these forums and you guys!
     
  16. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

    MacFanUK

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #16
    Glad the suggestion helped :)

    There are rumours on here about the Mini's being updated at some point in October so I would at least wait until the end of October.

    I spent a couple of years planning and saving to buy a Mac Pro (purely for the dual screen functionality), then they released the current Mac Mini, which for me, is a much better option.
     
  17. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    englishman

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #17
    Yes, I noticed that on the buying guide. I think I'll wait at least a few weeks. I can live with single screen for a while. Or even just use my MBP with an external.

    In the long term though a mini it will be. Steve Jobs is the messiah after all.

    Need to change my signature too! ;)
     
  18. JFreak macrumors 68040

    JFreak

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tampere, Finland
    #18
    If you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait; thus you already answered your question...

    Current models were introduced in 2009/03 so the next ones are not likely to be introduced until 2010/06. It depends on Intel roadmap very heavily, and until there's new CPU family you can be almost 99.99% sure there's not going to be new model coming soon.

    I bought one last week, but I need it now.
     
  19. Keebler macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #19
    i'm about to buy one, but i am curious that the refurb site has only had 1 mp the last 3 days. There's usually a few diff models to choose from. I'll see if that holds up tomorrow.... or wednesday at the latest.
     
  20. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    englishman

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #20
    Refurb UK has hardly anything.
     
  21. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
  22. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    #22
    refurbs go everyday.
     

Share This Page