Mac Pro Buy or Wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by englishman, Oct 10, 2009.

1. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

I need a Mac Pro for development work in the next 9 months or so.

But its not urgent yet ie I can wait a few months.

Is there a new model likely in the the next 3/4 months?

2. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Probably not.

They just came out with the Nehalem based Mac Pro.
    Intel isn't due to release any new CPUs just yet.

It's be kind of silly for them to have an early '09 MP and a late '09 MP MP wouldn't it?

I'd say get one now and spend the next few months getting it set up the way you want so there's no rush when you need it.

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS> They may well release a new 30" monitor soon.... or maybe not.

3. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

If you require the power now, I would get it, if you can hold out to beginning of '10 you will probably see next rev. MacPro. there will be a lot of machines being traded in at that point & it may be a good time for a gently used model & save a buck.

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Have you considered looking around the MacPro forum or Mroogle?

The consensus is nothing new 'till Intel releases a new line of processors. Methinks Gulftown and mid-2010.

5. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    The next release, which would most likely be only a spec bump, should be around March 2010. If you can wait until then, wait. If you can't, buy one now.

6. mathlete123 macrumors member

Light-Peak

At this point, the octo core (and quad core, presumably) is future proof enough that you will be able to use it for years to come; later updates wont matter that much. The only reasonable argument for waiting is- i think- Intel's new "Light Peak" 10 gbps tech that is rumored to come out Q1 2010 for apple. If you want, that, maybe you should wait, but who knows.

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

i agree with the posts above...you can buy one now and later if you think you should upgrade(if its worth) you can always sell your mac pro and buy a new one...cheers:)

8. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

As others have said, buy now and then upgrade if the need be, though an upgrade will be unlikely as they are AWESOME! [​IMG]

9. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Thanks for the advice

I think I will have to get one. Annoying as I only just replaced a MBP from refurb store - I might be able to send it back in 14 days window.

The main reason I feel the need for MP is not so much the performance but the dual screen thing.

10. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

have you considered a iMac + cinema display?

11. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

I already have 2 very nice displays setup with an old Dell which I would replace with the MP. As is said on these forums so many time its a pity Apple don't do something expandable between a mini and a MP - in the uk at a sort of pricepoint between £500 and £2000 - that's a hell of a gap.

12. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Have you considered a Mac Mini? You can hook up dual displays in those now.

13. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

yeah the mac mini has come on leaps and bounds as of recent... have you though about one of those for the vast cheapness of it... performance is a major killer compared to the mac pro though [​IMG]

14. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Hey thanks - I never thought of a mini! I never thouht that it could drive 2 displays. Wow, you've saved me ££££s

15. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Performance isn't too much of an issue - its for programming, development etc not heavy video stuff.

In fact I could keep my Dell and just plonk it on top and switch - the more I think about it the better it is - my wife will be pleased about the money saving too!

I LOVE these forums and you guys!

16. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Glad the suggestion helped :)

There are rumours on here about the Mini's being updated at some point in October so I would at least wait until the end of October.

I spent a couple of years planning and saving to buy a Mac Pro (purely for the dual screen functionality), then they released the current Mac Mini, which for me, is a much better option.

17. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Yes, I noticed that on the buying guide. I think I'll wait at least a few weeks. I can live with single screen for a while. Or even just use my MBP with an external.

In the long term though a mini it will be. Steve Jobs is the messiah after all.

Need to change my signature too! ;)

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

If you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait; thus you already answered your question...

Current models were introduced in 2009/03 so the next ones are not likely to be introduced until 2010/06. It depends on Intel roadmap very heavily, and until there's new CPU family you can be almost 99.99% sure there's not going to be new model coming soon.

I bought one last week, but I need it now.

19. Keebler macrumors 68030

i'm about to buy one, but i am curious that the refurb site has only had 1 mp the last 3 days. There's usually a few diff models to choose from. I'll see if that holds up tomorrow.... or wednesday at the latest.

20. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Refurb UK has hardly anything.

21. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

22. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

refurbs go everyday.