Mac Pro Buying Advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wild4nuttin, Jul 6, 2009.

1. wild4nuttin macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I've been reading the forums for a while, and I think I'll finally crawl out of the dark tunnel of the unregistered and join the living. Howdy.

The reason behind my sudden emergence is centered around the computer I require for college. I've saved about four grand for the entire system (peripherals included), and I would like a little more information on the mac pro models. More specifically, I'd like to know what people think about buying one NOW. While I don't necessarily NEED one now, there's no way in hell I'm going into college with my iBook G4. She's been a lovely computer, and has worked very hard for me the past four years. Sadly, though, she's starting to slow down, and as my work in photoshop and lightwave progresses, it's getting harder and harder to be productive.

So, I want Macrumor's opinion on this: Will there be price drops/spec boosts before the end of this year? If there isn't, will there be a significant upgrade/pricedrop WITHIN a year?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy now, have the computer, and take advantage of all the rebates (printer, ipod, iwork); or buy a 13" macbook pro and save up for next year. While I'm desperate to be able to have the power of the MP for my home needs, I won't really NEED it for school until next year.

So what am I doing here?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nothing will change whatosoever until March-August 2010.

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I don't see any changes this year at all. Maybe Jan. or Feb. 2010:confused:
    As far as upgrades or price drops go, you might have a better chance finding out from a fortune teller :)

4. jimmypopjr macrumors regular

I think the worst that could possibly happen in the next 6-12 months would be a clock speed bump... and when you're working with 4-8 (8-16) cores.... a little bit of a bump is nothing to have buyer's remorse over. I'd say go for it and spend the summer getting in touch with a beautiful, beastly machine called the mac pro.

That said... spec bump probably won't happen until next year.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except the only bump that could happen is the addition of the 3.2 GHz Gainestown... and all the MONEY that that implies. They wouldn't drop prices to add the option.

6. treo360 macrumors member

That's the only thing holding me back, but then again it is 16 cores:D

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

8 cores, 16 threads.

Cores != threads.

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The upcoming CPU, Gulftown, is coming in May 2010. We'll most likely see an update sometime around or within a few months after then.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

WHAT will you be doing in college that could possibly require a MacPro?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Gulftown, man. :cool:

Hey, I have mine in case my school's video editing computers die. Letting other students use your Final Cut Studio 2 to finish a project last-minute can be VERY profitable. :D

11. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I had "Gulftown" in my mind but I must have put down "Gainestown" LOL. :p

12. Black107 macrumors regular

If you're going to buy a mac pro, get a student developer membership from ADC. The discount is even higher than regular edu discount (~$500-600 off vs $300)

13. wild4nuttin thread starter macrumors newbie

My major is at Penn State University within the School of Visual Arts. It combines graphic design, new media, film and video, architectural design, photography, music composition, and theater into a single god-awesome roller coaster ride called Interdisciplinary Digital Studio. I'm going to need a computer that can kick out a render with all the trimmings as fast as possible. That, and after doing professional renders on an iBook G4 for 2 years, I think I'm allowed to treat myself to a a little something special...

Does it cost anything to get said membership?

14. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Buy yourself a nice macbook pro and wait for the next upgrade for the mac pro.

15. admanimal macrumors 68040

$99...and you get a free t-shirt!

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

G4??? Heck - get a Macbook Pro- you won't believe the improvement over your iBook, and you retain portability.

17. wild4nuttin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've done some calculations, and discovered that after everything, I only end up saving about 25 bucks with the ADC purchase:

Through ADC:
    $2881-Computer+tax
    $160-Printer
    $200- Monitor
    $80-Mouse
    $50-Keyboard
    $230-iPod
    $99-Member fee

Total- $3700

And then through the educational store via the printer and iPod rebates

$3724-computer+printer+ipod+tax
    -$329
    3395-Afer rebates
    200-Monitor
    80-mouse
    50-keyboard

Total- $3725

Pros of Buying ADC: I could wait to buy the printer and iPod, which would mean I get the new version once they hit the market. That, and I get access to all the resources ADC offers.

Cons of Buying ADC: I sense it will be somewhat of a hassle to prove I am a student, but is that enough to deter me away from the segmented purchasing and the whopping 25 bucks?

18. rwdds macrumors member

Forget the Mac Pro, you don't need it. For your needs, the 17' MBP will have more than enough juice and the portability you'll need. You'll be taking the MBP to classes, to the girls dorm, to your buddies place, to the library, etc...

In college, you want to be able to stay mobile. When you make it to grad school or your first job as an adult, then blow your wad on the (by then 32 core) desktop mac.