Mac Pro Buying Decisions

ejewels52

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
77
0
Hello, I've searched a lot on this forum, but still haven't found all the answers...Anyways, I'm a design professional and I've been around my share of macs...I now have a G4 quicksilver, and a Dell PC...and I really want to sell the PC and get a new mac pro. Is it wise to buy this new technology? Should I wait until it has been released and proven for a while? It really is tempting considering it will accomodate for better number crunching abilities like when developing with Flash...so whats the verdict? Wait or buy? (please say buy... LOL )
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
168
Buy. :D

All of your software will run faster than on the old Quicksilver anyway... and when UBs for Creative Suite are released you'll be laughing. QuarkXpress 7 is already UB.

What are your main workhorse apps?
 

ejewels52

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
77
0
Main Apps are CS2, Studio 8, Lightwave, FCP....i realize the UB thing, but I guess I am just hesitant on the new technology being so new. Have there been any issues? Also, when is the next upgrade to the Mac Pros anyways...I would prob have to wait a while right?
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I think you picked a great time to upgrade your workstation.

The only brief hold-up will be waiting a few more months for some of the Pro
applications and plugins to be offered in Universal Binary.

The only killer right now is the price of FB ECC RAM, but that will come down
soon enough as production ramps up and the market floods.

These machines are best configured with 4 of a kind match RAM DIMMS, so your most difficult decision will be to accept 4 X 512 sticks to get a minimum 2 GB RAM or if you're going for 4 X 1 GB RAM sticks.

You also need to count on a 3-5 weeks backorder if you BTO the ATI X1900 video card.

You could go for a closeout or refurb G5 Quad, but that would be an expensive hold over purchase making the machine conform to your applications instead of waiting for the applications to conform to your new machine.

If you can plug along till spring, then the only other consideration would be to get a full blown Leopard system.

Tough choices when you upgrade every 3-5 years.
 

ejewels52

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
77
0
well i was thinking about getting 1 gig to save initial money now, and upgrading the RAM later. Either way, all the DIMM slots configuration are the same right? so If one got 4 512's now, I could always take out and put in 4 1gigs in right? Also, Is the stock graphics card upgradable later on as well? I hear its not that great...but I also don't play games

I guess the question is...2 gigs of ram rather than 1, or ATI graphics card upgrade and 1 gig RAM?? (trying to stay around 2500)
 

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
15,307
25
Right side of wrong
i say buy.*

and as far as RAM vs. video card, i think it's up to you. would you upgrade the other either way on down the road? i think it's easier to upgrade or just add RAM later, so you might want to get the video card now
 

ejewels52

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
77
0
yeah...so i guess the video card would be better to purchase now? RAM is always upgradable later...
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You pretty much need 2 GB RAM right away if you plan any heavy use of CS2.
Unfortunately, that's going to set you back about $250.00
Apple already gives you 2 X 512 MB DIMMS so all you really need are 2 more to get rolling.

One cool thing is that OWC has a RAM trade in policy so that may help
in the future.
I didn't see their price for matche dpairs of 512 MB DIMMS, so they may be
out of stock temporarily.

All the RAM suppliers are scrambling to make sure that their Apple guaranteed
DIMMS meet or exceed Apples thermal guidlines.

Apple does list a stand alone purchase for the ATI X1900 card for $359.00(edu)

Just go to the Apple Store web page and search X1900

I would just get the stock machine 2.66 GHz " as is " and add as you see fit.

The problem is Rosetta's need for RAM to work with your PPC applications.
Once you upgrade to UB Adobe CS3 it should fly on this system.

If you already have a retail license of XP, you may be able to run CS2 on a Boot Camp enabled Windows partition.
 

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
802
0
I think that a video card is always upgradable later. It seems that you use applications that require lots of ram, which makes that a better upgrade than a video card right now. I think it's a great time for you to upgrade since the MP's have been getting great reviews. Good luck with your purchase.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If you don't mind lurking a bit,
you could just comb the refurb page every day until you see a 2.66 or 3.0 GHz
refurb pop up in the system.

They WILL show up eventually.

That should save you enough to buy some extra RAM and you might actually end up with a few free extras at no charge.

The refurb prices will probably fall about $100.00 less than the education store pricing.
 

ejewels52

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
77
0
Thanks all, looking forward to purchasing...but I have heard of some complications with the whole intel thing and windows?
 

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
1,584
0
Gainesville, FL
ejewels52 said:
Thanks all, looking forward to purchasing...but I have heard of some complications with the whole intel thing and windows?
You just need to follow a certain procedure when loading up your windows drivers disc for Boot Camp so that your SATA drives operate properly :eek:
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You have to keep in mind that BootCamp is a beta test program that will be replaced with Leopard, so you need to back up everything you do on your Windows
partition before installing Leopard or you may lose it.
 

ejewels52

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
77
0
Would I have any reason to wait a couple months for a new Mac Pro? or will they be out for a while before any new products?