Mac Pro buying decisions.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mhkobe, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Mhkobe macrumors regular

Hi all, and thank you for any future responses. I am looking at buying a new mac pro, I will use it for cinema 4d and photoshop (for building textures), and also a little bit of programming. I don't usually design high quality textures because I generally prefer building everything with polygons (textures usually look bad). This is a problem, however; because my Imac simply cannot render these high quality models without taking 4 minutes. My first question is whether or not apple will be releasing a new mac pro within the next 6 months that has an option for two six core intel processors? I would like the very best processor possible, and if there is a big update coming, I can definitely wait. My next question is whether I should go for 12 gb RAM or 16. I have the money for 16, but I have heard that each processor can access up to 3 slots each, or two slots if you have all four slots full. Any input is great, thx in advance.
    :apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Gulftown is coming in mid 2010 so if you're ready to wait 9 months, sure, it's worth it.

If you have 3 slots in use per CPU, you get triple-channel boost but I'm not sure how much does it help in real life... If you get one with two CPUs and have money for 4GB chips, get 6 x 4GB