Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nisse32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2015
I just upgraded a MacPro 4,1 and, among other things, put in a GTX 980. To this I connected a 40-inch 4K TV (LG 40UB800v, Euro version) via HDMI. 10.10.3 on this computer.

Previously I used an Apple 30-inch Display so the dotpitch is higher which decreases readability. On my MBP 15 Retina I get a very useful scaling option using native resolution. (I run the display native resolution but the system objects (menys etc) are scaled. Se below:
MBP15Retina monitor pref.jpeg

I don´t get this option on the Mac Pro. See below:
Mac Pro GTX80 monitor pref.jpg

My problem now is: Is it possible to enable this function on the MacPro/GTX980 and how?

(I still haven´t figured out to get 60Hz yet but that will be the next thing to do...)

(Sorry, title should read: 4K scaling...)

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
AFAIK, there is no native way to do that.

For Mavericks, you can hold down the option key and then click scaled to display the HiDPI option, but you can't use Mavericks because the 980.

And Apple remove this function in Yosemite, so, you will need some 3rd party software to achieve what you want. Of course, you can still try the option key method, but most likely it won't work.

nisse32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2015
AFAIK, there is no native way to do that.

For Mavericks, you can hold down the option key and then click scaled to display the HiDPI option, but you can't use Mavericks because the 980.

And Apple remove this function in Yosemite, so, you will need some 3rd party software to achieve what you want. Of course, you can still try the option key method, but most likely it won't work.

According to this Apple support document:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

you can use 4K displays to the following Macs:
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013 and later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 and later)
  • Mac mini (Late 2014)
  • MacBook Air (Early 2015)
  • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
and that would mean that you get the special "scaling alternative" on these machines. All these Macs have different graphics options so I would suspect that Apple "flags" these computers in some way so that the monitors preference pane "knows" that the computer has this scaling capability.

Is there a simple way to trick the OS to think that a Mac Pro c with a 4K-capable graphics card also can offer this scaling?

(If not, the solution would be to buy a bigger 4K TV with a dot pitch that is lower than the old monitor, in my case I would have to go to 44 inch and above to get readability better than my old 30 Apple Display...)

Holding down the option key just shows more resolutions - not the special meny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.