Mac pro causing noise on my speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LucasPro, Jan 14, 2009.

1. LucasPro macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just discovered that my MP is triggering noise in my speakers (Bang and Olufsen BeoLab 4). First I thought the problem was with the speakers (I mean... how can a MP of 3000 USD cause noise huh..?) But then I switched the speakers to my Iphone and the problem disappeared. The Beolab 4's have no digital connector, so I can't use the digital connection of the MP. Anyone any ideas how to solve this??? The problem started suddenly and I didn't change any connections/properties.

thx!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Where are the speakers located?
    And BTW, there is no direct correlation between the price paid for an object and the possibility of it being a problem. This is, in fact, an electronic device designed in a similar fashion like other electronic devices prone to failure. It does not promise to never fail due to the price tag.

3. LucasPro thread starter macrumors newbie

The speakers are located next to a Samsung lcd monitor. But the only device that can be causing this problem is the Mac. I connected the speakers to the Iphone and the problem was gone. The speakers were still at the same place with the monitor and the Mac turned on. The problem arises when I connect the speakers to the Mac.
    Of course I understand the money - electronic device issue but I thought the chance of a noise problem would be small since the MP is also used in a lot of music studios etc. But that's not the point of course.
    Is it possible that it is due to static electricity inside the MP of some sort?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Where is the MP located?
    My Bose music monitors are connected through the standard audio jack. Yes, for $400 you'd think I'd at least get some sort of optical connection, but no ...

Carrying on. My thoughts are that static is possible but I wonder where the MP is. Mine is on the floor, on carpet and I don't experience this. Have you taken the iPhone out of the room and moved the speakers further from the monitor? Monitors can interfere with speakers, or vice versa I think. Also the three combined could be causing an issue.

5. LucasPro thread starter macrumors newbie

The MP is on a simple wooden table with a drawer. It's also next to a Samsung LCD tv (so no tube). But the thing is.. the MP has always been on this table and next to the tv and the noise problem never arose until recently. But I'll try to move the speakers etc. Thx for your fast comments!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well just move the speakers and start troubleshooting that way.
    Do you have other speakers you can try and plug into the MP? Even if you have to go out and spend $20 on another set just to be certain.

The thing is, this is a beast. I have to take mine in and I'm not looking forward to it. If I were you I would try to figure out what is up before I took it in so eliminating the issues and moving or trying other speakers seems like a good start.

Also, hate to state the obvious, but you have checked the connection right? Also, are the speakers turned all the way up? I mean, can you adjust volume on the speakers? If so, turn it down and then make sure your sound is turned up about halfway on your computer in OSX. Does that make sense? I've yet to have enough coffee to know if I make sense today.

7. LucasPro thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha.. your comments make sense yes. I did try everythings with the plugs. It's indeed not so nice to bring a pretty heavy Mac in for repair.. I know ;p. The Bang and Olufsen speakers (indeed, 1000 USD and also no digital audio..) do not have volume control.
    One other thing. I sometimes notice that when I touch my MP it feels like the outer casing is pretty static. When I touch the side panel it feels as if it is vibrating heavily with a high frequency (it isn't of course but it feels like it does). But the noise also arises when there is no 'static' side panel so..

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How do you have your MP plugged in? Straight into a wall or a surge protector (and not the ones you buy for $1.00?)

9. LucasPro thread starter macrumors newbie

It is connected to a pretty expensive surge protector. Around 40 euro's so about 50-60 USD. But just for fun I'll try to connect it straight into the wall contact ;).

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well yeah do that for the moment but don't keep it there. I never trust a computer plugged straight into a wall. :)

11. LucasPro thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so nothing changed. Plugged it straight into the wall but the noise doesn't change. When I move a little with the plug into the Mac line in port the noise is affected but not solved. Also tried to plug the line into the headphone port on the front of the Mac but there is no noticable effect on the noise. They even make the noise when the mac is completely shut off. I'll try switching with other speakers later this day. Thx for the help anyway!

12. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

If it is a humming noise you may want to try a ground loop isolator.

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

What ^ said.

However besides, the aforementioned $3,000 computer has worse analog audio than some similarly priced - and cheaper - machines. In terms of analog performance, you might even get slightly better on some $500 PC's.

It is a regular integrated soundcard - nothing special. At least, not because it's got an Apple logo splattered over it, as most apparently here cultishly believe.

If you consider audio important, I'd think about investing in an external soundcard.

14. LucasPro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for your comments. I have hear about groundloops before. I'll have a look at it. But I think groundloops mainly produce a sort of humming noice and not the crispy noise I'm hearing. But I'll definitely try it out.
    Maybe an external soundcard is not such a bad idea. I think it would solve the problem.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If we're talking:

<amazing mastery of onomatopoeia>

meepmeepmeepfzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefzzzzzzzzzzzzzt

</amoo>

or the like, then it's the crap analog on the Pro (Ha. Every time I say or type that in conjunction with 'Apple' I snort in contempt) sound.

If it's a

<you get the idea by now>

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

</yeah all right>

It's a ground loop.