Mac Pro chirp sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by speekez, Jun 10, 2007.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

Lately, I've been noticing a very quiet chirp from my mac pro. I only hear it now and then if the room is very quiet. I always hear a bit of purr from my Mac Pro, most likely from the ATI x1900 fan. But this chirp is different It sounds like a little twinkle chime, very faint, and I'm not sure where it is coming from.

I have a Mac Pro 2.66 version.

Anyone else hear it on theirs, assuming you are in a very quiet room and have good hearing ;)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I remember some mention that the Power Mac G5 made chirps as well. No memory of the cause though.

3. speekez thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI My stock had drive is western digital not seagate

4. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I didnt have any sort of a chirp until i put in a x1900xt

now whenever i scroll in safari, and other misc things will cause a small chirp sound..

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

My PowerBook G4 chirps when I am working in Dreamweaver. I can hear it chirp whenever I type. It's usually only in that application, though... I don't know what causes it.

6. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

A lot of PowerMacs had this issue. If memory served, it was tracked down to a misaligned fan.

7. iberroa macrumors newbie

2009 Mac Pro Chirping Noise

I have a 2009 Mac Pro (Nahalem) and every now and then i hear a chirping noise that i believe is coming from my main 640GB Western Digital Hard Drive.

I've noticed this sound since day one. When i first got the Mac Pro it only had a 640GB WD hard drive. Since then i've added a 1TB WD, 500GB WD, and a 50GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD. I'm still noticing the same sound every now and then. I'll let you guys know if i hear the sound again after i upgrade my 640GB to a 1TB.
    :rolleyes: :apple:

8. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

My G5 would chirp, sounded like a dying cat to me. It turned out to be one of the hard drives. I still have that drive, works fine.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Some drives make a "chirp" or a "beeep" sound when they spin up the platters. It is harmless.

I've noticed Western Digital drives do it, Seagates tend not to, so far.