Mac Pro clicking Sound

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Strutter1979, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Strutter1979 macrumors newbie

I saw this mentioned in another thread, that when the mac is turned on or woken up from sleep it makes a single click like sound. Mine has done this all the time (over a yer) and I assumed it was the norm but reading about someone else on this forum who had the same problem they said they phoned up tech support and was told that it's the hard drive about to fail! Is this correct and has anyone else had this prob?

Thanks

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

My clicks too when I turn it on. Did it since day one. I don't have the Apple supplied hard drive in my machine. I ripped it out before even turning the machine on the first time. All my hard drives are fine though. I think the click is normal.

3. bld44 macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the click that sounds like the power turning on?

4. Strutter1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah when it turns on. As it's always done it i've thought nothing of it, it's only when I read that someone else who had the problem was told to replace the drive then I started to panic. As most people have it, I think it may just be the norm (fingers crossed)

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Mine clicks. It's had no issues since I bought it in July.

6. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think they all do that. Mine does that too.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The Mac Pro clicking during startup is normal.

The clicking other people may be referring to a failing hard drive is different, and has a more distinct sound of death to it., and it wouldn't do it just when it is booted up, rather through out the computer running, until the computer crashes. If the computer didn't crash, you're fine.