Mac pro - Combine 2 HDDs without a RAID, possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aygie, Sep 15, 2009.

1. aygie macrumors regular

Hey guys

Does anyone know if it is possible to combine 2 hard drives (x2 500gGB) not in a RAID?

I have a RAID 0 at the moment on my Mac Pro and it has been running slow since i installed SL, i want to get rid of the RAID and see if that affects anything.

:)

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Uh - you have 4 bays for 4 drives. You can have separate drives or ANY combination of RAID you wish to set up.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I guess you mean concatenation (AKA: JBOD)? Sure. You'll lose all the data so you have to back-up and then restore onto the JBOD set. All doable through the Disk Utility supplied by Apple.

4. aygie thread starter macrumors regular

sorry I didn't really explain myself, I have x4 500GB HDDs, 2 are currently a RAID 0 and the other 2 are empty (as in no OS installed on them) and are used as capture scratch drives.

What i wanted to know is do the x2 RAID drives combined together have to be a RAID to be combined together? Or can you combine them together another way?

Thanks

5. aygie thread starter macrumors regular

Yes! Thats exactly what I wanted to do, thanks. You wouldn't happen to know a good guide would you?

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well, no guide is really needed. It's just a few steps. Like:

1. Back up the data.
    2. Load Disk Utility and break the RAID0 by deleting members.
    3. Select one of the drives, click RAID, select "Concatenated Disk Set" add the other drive(s), and click Create.
    4. Restore the data onto the new JBOD.
    5. Done.
    I guess you could format each drive after you break the RAID0 if you wanted to.

7. aygie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, i'll give it a go tonight, appreciate the help. :)