Mac Pro Config for CS4 & 3D

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HotShoeStudios, Mar 31, 2009.

1. HotShoeStudios macrumors newbie

The time has come for me to get a new mac pro. I just can't wait any longer even with Mac World months away and all the controversy surrounding the latest updates. Time is money as they say! ;)

Unfortunately I'm a little stumped on how to order. I spend 90% of my time with CS4, Painter, and Lightwave running at the same time. I am constantly jumping back and forth between the three. My CS4 files are routinely around .5 - 1 gig. I do a lot of painting in CS4 at 250 ppi with large custom brushes and many, many layers. My Lightwave scenes are generally around 500,000 to 750,000 polys with radiosity, raytracing, etc.

How would you spec out a machine? I don't have 20k to spend but I'll spend @5k if it's the best route. Granted I don't want to just pizz away money to buy the "fastest" but I have no problem if it's justified.

I am very interest in ordering the RAID card and then installing SAS drives to try and optimize CS4 performance. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations regarding such a set up? I already have a slew of external drives that I could use for backup. I'm primarily interested in the RAID for speed, speed, speed!

Any ideas from hardcore CS4/3D users? Thanks!

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

With scenes that size and those apps running 6GB is just fine:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7381731&postcount=82

Raid is always good:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=676960

3. HotShoeStudios thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I be better off paying the extra $700 for the RAID card or can I run a RAID without one? (I really don't quite grasp the whole RAID deal)

Would Lightwave make better use of the 2.26 8 core? When I configure the 2.93 quad vs. the 2.23 eight with the same options I get $4,099 vs. $4,399. (I'll buy my ram from OWC.) With the price so close it's confusing.

Thanks for your help.