Mac Pro Constantly Freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kboller07, Jun 29, 2010.

1. kboller07 macrumors member

I have an 08 Mac Pro with a stock apple raid card. 4 2TB WD Green drives make up the raid and I use it for my iTunes library and Aperture Library. I use the extra sata port for my 1 TB Hitachi boot drive which is the one I purchased my Mac Pro with. I have had this setup for nearly if not over a year with no trouble until the past week and a half. The raid utility shows that everything is fine. The battery is good, the raid partition is good, and even when I click through the individual drives in their respective bays it says SMART Verified Status Good. My trouble is this. Anytime I play a song or a tv show, or access files even without using iTunes the computer freezes. I can't click on anything, there is no spinning wheel and I have to manually restart it. When I do restart it the raid volume does not show up in the finder. But when I go to verify disk or repair disk in the disk utility it shows everything is fine. I have to rebuild the volume with diskwarrior and when I use any file off of the volume it freezes. I've replaced the drives and that hasn't helped. So I'm at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Two places to test. First go to preferences panel and to user accounts and login items, and write down everything in there. Then remove everything in there. Then go into Finder under Library/Startup items and do the same as above. (just copy the things in there to a temp folder) Now restart the computer. Then go into disk utility and run repair on the disk and then repair permissions. restart.

if things work smoother now after running a while, slowly add the things back on your list one at a time until you find what is slowing you down. 90% of the time, these sort of slow downs can be attributed to something that is loading at startup and conflicting with something. It will take a while, but may save you a lot of time in the long run.

3. otechcomputing macrumors newbie

Or check out Console, for the time that your machine freezes. Could be a bad video card -- have seen stranger things. :confused:

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Above part indicates that your RAID card itself could be source of your probem.