mac pro cpu goes cheeper by time or higher?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alam, Jan 17, 2009.

1. alam macrumors regular

alam

hello everone
    i'm planing soon to get another cpu 2.8 ghz (harpertown model) i guess for my mac pro early 2008 model, but should i buy it now or wait until a price drop in the harpertown cpus?
    the mac pro cpu are very expensive and i regret the day that i got the mac pro built in 4 cores but what can i say, don't have a time machine, but my question are:
    1_ should i wait until a price drop or not?
    2_ where i can get it?
    3_ does all the cpus comes with a heatsink or i need to get an another one?
    4_ do i need to buy thing more other than the cpu and heatsink or these are enough?

tnx for helping

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There will be no price drop, really. Once the new models hit in June, prices will go back up.

Buy a heatsink and CPU.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Might fluctuate by a hundred or two, but tends to stay in the same range.

The only "cheaper" machines are the refurbished, old stock, or used.

If you cannot afford a new Mac Pro now, unless you save like mad. That won't change in the future.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I bet it would work out cheaper to sell your Mac Pro and buy a used 8 core. Have a look at prices. I mean you're talking $900 retail for a processor and heatsink at least. Links to the heat sink are in the Mac Pro hardware guide (link at the top of the for page).

Just noticed your location. If you can't source parts from the US then you might struggle to get the heatsink, and obviously your options on selling and buying an 8 core will be different.

The processor: $830
    http://www.buy.com/prod/xeon-e5462-qc-lga771-2-80-12mb-chip1600mhz-tray/q/loc/101/206215271.html

heatsinks: ~$100
    Apple Palace and MacPalace.com

The difference between used 4 core and 8 core systems I see is usually $400-$500.

5. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well apple in saudi arabia business sucks, we don't have the refurbished plans, either buy a new one or find a buyer to buy your mac by your own self :mad:, and by the way, we don't have an apple store, we have only reseller and retail store, not the apple store it self, even in dubai there is no apple store :confused:
    the only thing that keeps me alive here is that i have an aramex account for shipment deals to my location.