Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbhopkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
So I saw this amazing Mac Pro 3,1 2x3.2 GHz on Craigslist for $980, just down the road from me:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/2270466610.html

Too good to be true, right!? These should cost twice as much.

I email the guy and wait to hear back. Always skeptical, I google his email address and see that the guy has Craigslist for-sale ads posted all over the country! That, and the too-good-to-be-true price, point to a likely scammer.

<< sigh >>

Back to the classifieds I go....

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Definitely a scam or something. But why the ads all over the country? Is there an entire network of thugs waiting to rob cash? A whole bunch of people are fencing an exact same stolen model? I don't see a logical angle here.

Maybe it's just a email-collecting robo-farm to sell email lists to spammers?

dbhopkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
But why the ads all over the country? Is there an entire network of thugs waiting to rob cash? A whole bunch of people are fencing an exact same stolen model? I don't see a logical angle here.

Maybe it's just a email-collecting robo-farm to sell email lists to spammers?
This has happened to me a couple of times on CL, and it's happening again with this guy. He says he's just moved (to London in this case) and that he'll need to ship it to me, for no additional shipping charge, and he can ship it just as soon as I wire him some $$$.

Uh-huh.

I'm still emailing back and forth with him, just to annoy him and waste his time ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.