Mac Pro crashes (Please help)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by harmless64, Mar 4, 2008.

1. harmless64 macrumors newbie

I've had two crashes (really weird ones) since I got my mac pro 3 weeks ago. Is that too many to have and should I be worried about this?

Description:

The screen distorts -- I see a version of the app I had open but it's all distorted and pixelated. There are medium to small squares everywhere that imbue things w/ different colors. I can move a version of the pointer around (almost like a pointer attached to a box) but I can't click on anything. Nothing responds.

Has anyone had anything similar? What should I do about this? I'd appreciate any feedback at all.

Otherwise things are working fine.

Thank you!!!

Glenn

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

doesnt sound like a crash. a crash is a kernel panic where the screen dims and it tells you to restart your computer.

sounds like a graphics card issue. ring Apple Care and explain the issue. they will probably ask you to do some toubleshooting tests on it to diagnose the problem.

3. harmless64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, man, this is so unnerving. what should I do?

4. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

5. harmless64 thread starter macrumors newbie

And say what? Demand a replacement video card?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And say...hey my MacPro isn't working can you help me?
    Seems easy enough.

7. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Exactly. Very simple. Tell them whats wrong, and they will troubleshoot if they or you don't know what the issue is.

8. harmless64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Clearly that's what you do when you call Apple Care! but the remedy is not so simple. All signs point to this being a hardware problem (graphics card). If after calling Apple Care, that's the conclusion we reach, what do I do?

Ask for a replacement ATI card? What if the problem is worse? Do you see what I'm getting at?

What is the realistic best solution if it turns out to be a somewhat faulty video card?

9. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

I think the best solution is to let Apple handle it. Let them troubleshoot. Let them recommend a solution. If that doesn't work, repeat the process.

Years ago, I had a cute little MG Midget that had trouble starting. I thought I knew what the problem was, so I took it in several times to a mechanic to fix it. My problem was telling them what to do rather than letting the expert diagnose the problem. I must have taken that car in six times before letting the shop try to figure it out. That was me being young and stupid.

10. harmless64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: called Apple, ran some tests. They're sending me a replacement card. Did I do the right thing? 2 crashes in a couple weeks isn't that bad. What if this new card is worse? Opinions please ...

11. krye macrumors 68000

krye

What do you mean "not that bad". That's like saying, "It's OK, the door on my car has only fallen off once." You spent $3000 dollars on a state-of-the-art workstation. It's not supposed to crash at all!! As far as I'm concerened, they can send you 10 cards until you get your money's worth.

12. harmless64 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that I deserve my money's worth :) but what happens if my 2nd card is much worse and the 1st video card is in the mail on its way to apple? that costs me hours of work, which makes me nervous. Because that's what I got my Mac Pro for -- to do work.

13. Jaime V macrumors newbie

It sounds like you're worrying yourself needlessly. You could ask 'What if' questions 'til you're blue in the face...it doesn't help anything.

You called them, they're sending you a replacement card. See if it fixes the problem. If there are still problems, then troubleshoot from there, but it's really useless to ask all these 'What if' questions.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If the 2nd card causes the same issues worse or even at all then you call Apple and ask them if you can either bring the machine into their store if you're close enough OR you send it back so they can look into other possible issues. That is why the computer comes with a 1 year warranty and the option to extend said warranty another 2 years making for a full 3 year warranty.

Live your life on "what if" and you'll go crazy.

15. 330toSRT8 macrumors member

If you continue to have problems and lose precious time then ask Apple to refund you some money for your troubles. Others have posted getting something in return.