Mac Pro crashes when disconnecting and reconnecting mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ajbrehm, Dec 14, 2009.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

I have a 2009 Mac Pro ("Cyrus").

Connected to it are via USB and video an Apple Cinema Display.

Connected to the Cinema Display are an apple keyboard and to it an Apple Mighty Mouse.

Sometimes the mouse pointer freezes (or rather is found frozen when I return to the machine and the screen saver was on) and the only way to get it back to work is to disconnect the mouse and reconnect it.

However, every second or so time I do this, the Mac Pro crashes. The screen turns darker and in the middle a multilingual text tells me that I have to restart my Mac.

Does this happen to anybody else?

How can I prevent it and why does Mac OS X crash over a USB event?

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

You could try doing a clean install of OS X, as it seems that a kext related to USB is screwing up or corrupt.

3. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it possible just to replace the kext?

I wouldn't want to do a clean install. It's my main machine.

(Luckily the Iomega disk with the Timemachine backup failed, which means I don't have a backup with the broken kext.)

((I have other backups.))

4. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I don't believe Time Machine backs up system files, just user files, so it would not have a copy of the kext you need. that said, you could try to replace that kext, but you would need to get one from the exact same model that you have now. Each mac has different kext files for stuff like that (trust me, personal experience trying to replace a corrupt kext on a MacBook Pro with one from my Mac Pro)

You could try an archive and install (or whatever it's called)

If you can find them, I believe you'll need to replace these which are in /System/Library/Extensions:

Attached Files:

5. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

I think one way to fix this is to install Mac OS X on another disk and then transfer those files.

But then I came up with a better solution. :)

I'll buy a 128 GB solid-state drive and install Mac OS X on that. That'll give me the new installation I need.

6. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Let me know how it goes, I'm curious to know if this works or not.