Mac Pro crashes when I hit Eject Button under Snow Leopard!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fiercehairdo, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Fiercehairdo macrumors member

I've recently upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. This has brought me more problems than solutions! Chief among them is that the Eject button on my keyboard sometimes causes my Mac to quit all applications (including the Finder) thereby dumping all unsaved files. This problem is not exclusively caused by the eject button as it also happened once when I tried to Force Quit Safari which had froze. The "crash" does not appear to be a full crash since the Mac doesn't entirely restart but the screen goes blue, all menus disappear, then after a few seconds the Finder relaunches but all other programmes have quit and all unsaved changes lost. This is clearly unsatisfactory and frankly an intolerable risk given the work I can lose if this happens. I'm not sure of the cause but suspect it might be linked to the Flash Player in Safari which has been behaving very oddly since upgrading. Safari frequently freezes due to the Flash player going haywire. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Flash Player several times but it keeps messing up. That may be a separate problem but it's the only lead I have at the moment...

Can anybody help me restore some stability to my Mac?? :confused:
    I had none of these issues under Leopard...

I'm on a Mac Pro Quad Core 2.8 GHz, OSX 10.6.6

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

I have to ask since you did not mention it:
    Did you run disk utility?
    Did you clean your caches?
    Did you run your crontasks?
    Did you restart after the above mentioned tasks?

Do you have a backup of your data?

Cheers