Mac Pro crashing/graphics problems... found no cause so far

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by big_malk, May 16, 2008.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I've been having some graphical anomalies (see attached example, mostly it's random lines I don't have pictures of), and random crashes including blacked out screens, or frozen graphics, and often sound jamming in a loop.

I ran the apple hardware test of the installation CD, something an Apple store concierge had never heard of, but he did say something about a hardware test in single user mode? But I haven't found any mention of this on the internet anywhere?

I fixed permissions and did disk repairs in disk utility, and also ran '/sbin/fsck -fy' in single user mode, which reported no errors.

I have an ATI X1900, it's been suggested this could be faulty, or my logic board (my power strip blew up not long ago which my Mac was plugged into :eek: [I have since bought a UPS]), is there any other hardware tests I could run to test it?
    The nearest Apple store is at least an hours drive from here, and a long way to carry a Mac Pro from the nearest parking, but would it be worth taking it in for them to have a look at? Also, it's out of warranty now and I don't have apple care :(.

Thanks

Edit: Should probably mention, the hardware test said everything was A-Ok

Attached Files:

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

3. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

£35 a call?! Not likely :p

4. Mad Mac macrumors regular

I was having similar issues with my ATI 2600 XT. Text would sometimes be garbled and opening Cinema 4D left me with blacked out areas.

Check out my thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=484494 and try what D4F suggested with changing the color profile. I don't know how or why, but it fixed my issues.

5. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried, that unfortunately it hasn't made any difference :(

6. evp macrumors member

It seems I have the same exact problem with my x1900. It also manifests itself as random pure colored pixels. These get many times "embedded" into textures in 3d games. The same games also cause some polygons to be infinitely long. (very annoying, yet sometimes allow me to see things that are around the corners ... hax :D)

Here are some screenshots. The second one shows the lines that I'm getting during OS X use.

www.elias.pietila.fidisk.fi/x1900.png
    www.elias.pietila.fidisk.fi/x19002.png

I once got an error while running the apple hardware test and shipped the computer to Apple Care. They couldn't repeat the error and sent it back without fixing anything. Then again, the error code suggested it was a mother board heat sensor that was causing it. Funny how the only thing reacting to the melt down of the graphics card in on the MoBo.

I have to run any games with fans on the x1900 cranked up to maximum to enjoy a non artifact ridden screen. And you know how the card sounds, when i do so... Like living in a turbine test facility.

It annoys me to great extent how Apple seems to have no concern to its graphics compartment. This really shows when you look at the tests they run on the cards. Blinking different shades of grey on the screen (Tech tool deluxe) is hardly any test for the advanced hardware we have these days. These cards should handle maximum load for extended periods of time without crashing or filling the screen with garbled mess.

I'm now getting the 8800 to remedy the situation, but I'd like to eBay this card for some change. Too bad it's out of the question with the card's current condition. I hope it crashes and burns to a degree even Apple can appreciate, so that I can get another replacement. (yes, it's already been replaced once.. two weeks after I first got the computer).

One last rant. When I sent the Mac Pro to get fixed, they commented on the card by saying: "Wow, that is a big graphics card, what is it?". And When I replyed "it's the x1900xt", they asked whether it's by ATI or nVidia. Go Apple.

7. Chimpy macrumors 6502

The lines you show in your second screenshot are EXACTLY what I was seeing prior to my x1900 giving up the ghost.

I'm pretty sure yours is on the way out as well - I was getting the lines for a while and then the random crashes started, until finally the machine would crash every time after 5-15 minutes of use. Replacing the card immediately cured all my problems.

8. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yip I recognise those lines as well, and my crashes are becoming more frequent, seems my X1900 is fading away then :(
    Don't these cards come with a warranty? Surely they should last more than the year and half or so mine has been in operation!

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My X1900XT would give me random red dots on various windows, but confined to those windows (they'd move with the windows) shortly before it died and wouldn't allow the machine to boot.

To both posters with screenshots, it looks like its time to replace the X1900XT. You might be able to delay the situation by taking the card out and blowing out all the dust that collects with a can of compressed air.