Mac Pro / CS3 / Ideal display setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by altoption, Jan 10, 2008.

1. altoption macrumors newbie

I'm upgrading from a 15" MacBook Pro and a 23" ACD to a new mac pro. I hate how much juggling around I have to do on the 15" and 23".

Anyone using 2x23" ACDs? 2x30" ACDs? What about 3x23"? That sounds like it could be pretty nice, and cost me the same as one 30".

Anyone have an ideal setup for mostly CS3 work? I also do 1-2 jobs a year editing in Final Cut Pro.

Thanks

2. davidwatts macrumors newbie

23" & 20"

I use a 23" ACD and a 20" ACD. I keep my palettes open on the 20" and use the 23" for my workspace and bottom info bar. I've found this set-up very efficient for CS3. And you can save different palette configurations as custom workspaces. The monitors are a couple years old (pre-price drop) and so I didn't think it was worth buying a 23" mostly for the palettes.

3. unclegit macrumors member

[​IMG]

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/sx3031w/index.asp

Shipping to retailers this week - 100% NTSC and 97% Adobe RGB gammut.

The downside ?

$3499

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Given the money to pay for it, I'd go dual 30". Three screens are a bit much to handle - I've tried the combination, but it didn't work for me. YMMV

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd get 2 of the new Dell 30". Same 100%NTSC colour gamut as the above, every possible input and a list price of $1999...

Dell 3008WFP

6. unclegit macrumors member

Don't suppose you have any idea of the Adobe RGB numbers for that new dell?

ARGB is a much wider color gammut - but if it was close it really wouldn't make sense to pay for the eizo.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nope. It simply says "Moreover, the UltraSharp 3008WFP can support up to Adobe98 color standard which is widely used in desktop publishing"

8. altoption thread starter macrumors newbie

What didn't you like about three screens? I've got my one 23" in front of me, and the smaller 15" off to the side. I wonder what it's like with two 30"s? Seems like I'd want one right in front, and the other off to the side. Could be a long ways off with a display that large. Is that what you're using now?

9. unclegit macrumors member

Doesn't tell us much unfortunately - even the crappiest 4 bit display from 20 years about can "Support it".

The question is how much of the gammut can it cover - I guess someone will get around to doing colour space plots sooner or later.

10. choreo macrumors regular

choreo

I have used a (3) screen set up exclusively for many years. I still use CRTs by choice (3 Sony FW900 23" wide screens currently). Center screen for what I am working on, Right screen for Palettes and Left screen for everthing else (browsers, Bridge, etc.).

11. altoption thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds pretty sweet. Since you end up with one screen right in front, it seems like a natural to have one off to each side. I may see if I can get the Apple store near me to set up a Mac Pro with two 30"s and see what it looks like. Either way, I'm waiting until next week to see if there are new ACDs.