Mac Pro - Dead On Arrival

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wpattison, Feb 13, 2008.

1. wpattison macrumors member

wpattison

My base Mac Pro + 8800 arrived today. I excitedly set it up, only to not have it turn on.

AppleCare is sending me a new one, once they get this one back. What a crock.

I'm really not impressed with this.

:mad:

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Ouch... sorry man. It could of been some kid at FedEx who dropped it down some stairs in his raging oath for Vista, then placed it back in the truck. Ha.

3. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Maybe they recycled (MR forum member) Darthraige's Mac Pro and sent it to you.

4. snagitseven macrumors member

Was there an Apple store in your area that you could have exchanged it quickly? Seems like they could have swapped card, drives as needed to make you happy, no?

5. kannonbal macrumors member

Sorry.

That sucks and you have my sympathy.

If I ever get mine and it is DOA. Best not to think of that...

6. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

same thing happened to Macworld when they received their MP for review. It was DOA. Makes you think.

7. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Sure... but it sort of also makes me wonder how well these things handle through shipping. It may have been fine when it left California, but shipping may have taken its toll on the machine(s).

8. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

My box was all tore up and smashed in pretty well when it was delivered ground. My second Mac Pro which I got today was overnighted and the box is flawless not even a scratch on it!

9. antzona macrumors regular

antzona

Yeah my Mac Pro from August of 2006 was DOA. The ordeal of dealing with customer service and finally getting them to replace it, nearly scared me away from Apple forever. After several complaints they agreed to give me 2GB of RAM for my trouble.

10. wpattison thread starter macrumors member

wpattison

Thanks for the replies.

One thing that worried me was my reaction to the very first question from the Apple rep: "Would you like a replacement or a refund?" I had to stop and think about it.

After sleeping on it, I'm glad I chose the replacement. But I'm still very unhappy about all of this. Shouldn't this computer have been QA'ed before shipping? The box is a little dirty, but otherwise decent looking. The packing is very thorough. I even opened up the computer and spot verified that everything was seated correctly. Something tells me that the power supply is kaput. It's symptoms are as if the power button isn't even connected.

But even if this happened during shipment, I'm not pleased that I have to wait this long for a replacement. Mr.PS - how long was your turn around time? I am setup for expedited shipping... is that the same as overnight? Also - how long did you wait for your FedEx labels sent to your email? It's been about 13 hours and I still haven't seen them.

:confused:

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What's California got to do with it? They're all made in China.

Sorry you got a dud, horrible luck and I can only imagine the disappointment after already having waited so long :(

12. wpattison thread starter macrumors member

wpattison

Yes, there is one near me. I thought about that, and decided to let the AppleCare process determine the course of action. As soon as I spoke to a representative, they immediately said they would send a new one to me. I was somewhat shocked by that, because I was thinking they were going to tell me to go to the Apple Store. Maybe because it's a Mac Pro they are handled differently?

In the end, I think this is better. I thought about how I would feel if I had this fixed at the local Apple store, and decided that I would still have a queasy feeling about this unit even though it might have been fixed. Being dead straight out of the box, I already had a bad impression about it. Anything wrong from here on out would make me question it.

:(

13. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

My thoughts exactly. I didn't have a good feeling about lugging this load of bricks through a mall to the Apple Store either. My DOA is waiting on FedEx labels to be emailed to me. Then I wait...and wait....for yet another MP. Hopefully a rock solid one this time. Let me know what happens in your case. What kind of problems were you having?

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Because it's BTO.

15. wpattison thread starter macrumors member

wpattison

Update

So far:

• 2/13 - MacPro arrived. It was DOA out of the box. I called AppleCare, a replacement was setup and FedEx labels sent to me.
    • 2/14 - Sent the MacPro off via FedEx. Replacement started building as soon as the original was scanned into the FedEx system.
    • 2/16 - Email from Apple saying the replacement was built and will ship out. Estimated delivery time is Monday (2/18).

All in all, the turn around on the new system was pleasantly fast. I sure hope the new one is 100%.

16. wpattison thread starter macrumors member

wpattison

I have no idea for sure what the problem was. Symptoms were complete silence once the power button was hit. Plugged in several different outlets. It was as if there was no power supply or the PS was completely bad.

17. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Same thing happened to me on my 2007 8 core Pro.

18. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

Any chance they'll resend you the same one back after they fix it? That's what I'm worried about.

19. wpattison thread starter macrumors member

wpattison

Since my original one is on a FedEx truck still being shipped to them when the new replacement is finished, nope. ;)

But I did ask that from the get-go, and was told no.

20. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

That's good to know. Good Luck on your second one.

21. wpattison thread starter macrumors member

wpattison

• 2/18 - The replacement MacPro arrived and it's functioning beautifully!

22. JDR macrumors regular

Nice to hear that! (...and we all lived happily ever after :D)

If I ever had a problem with my Mac, I hope the issue would be handled like yours. Props, Apple!

23. Banacek macrumors 6502

My return process is taking a bit longer, but I used ADC when I bought my machine, so it have to go through them first. Hopefully once I ship it out everything will go as smoothly as your return did!

24. mac2maverick macrumors regular

mac2maverick

This sounds reassuring. Was the first box damaged when you received it? Should we sign for our computer if the box is damaged?

25. Banacek macrumors 6502

My box wasn't damaged in the slightest, so it's not a guarantee that everything will be fine :(