MAC Pro, Dell monitor w/SD card reader and SD card?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Julien, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Have a Mac Pro and use a 30" dell monitor that has a built in USB and multi card reader. Bought a SD card (to use in a photo frame) and OSX doesn't recognize it (it's unlocked). It will see USB drives so I know the reader is working. Is there something I must do or a driver I need to download to read/write to a SD card?

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

After inserting the card into the reader, have you opened disk utility to see if it shows up there as a disk or volume ?

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

It doesn't show up.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You say OSX doesn't recognise it.

I assume then you have tested it with a Windows setup as well?

Obvious I know. :eek: But if it fails with a Windows box as well the SD card reader might be faulty.

For what it's worth, I have the same setup and all works fine for me.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Is it an SD card or an SDHC card? The Dell 2407WFP I have hooked up to one of my Mac Pros will only support SD cards and not the SDHC card I just bought. If in doubt check the specs of your monitor.

6. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

It is a SDHC card so I guess that is the problem. Just read on Wikipedia that they are causing lots of consumer confusion.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

What exactly is the difference between SD and SDHC? I saw both in sizes of 2GB and 4GB. So I'm a little confused.. :confused:

8. cube macrumors G5

The SD standard goes up to 2GB but there are borderline cards bigger than that. SD cards are normally formatted in FAT16 (hence the 2GB standard limit), but the bigger cards need something like FAT32.

SDHC is different hardware and instead of being rated at maximum speed they are rated at guaranteed speed (thinking about video). They support 4GB and up because FAT32 was adopted (but standard only up to 32GB, most probably because that's the maximum size Windows will let you format).