Mac Pro: Dilemma

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by superpalmtree, Mar 6, 2009.

1. superpalmtree macrumors regular

Hey guys...this new Mac Pro update has really got me in a bind. I've read every post on the Internet dealing with the new processor and specs. I started by ordering the single quad 2.66. After sleeping on it I ended up switching to the dual quad 2.26. To me it seems like when spending this much it's worth the extra $700 for 2 higher level Xeon processors. Even if you don't need the speed right now when it comes time to new apps and resell value I figured I'd get most of my investment back. At least if it's been like the last 2 Pros. I basically use them for a year and resell and break even.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the single vs. dual....is the single a better value than I think? Are most of you ordering the single or dual? And I know someone will say....If you're considering a Pro you should know what you need before buying....but there may be people like me who are just tech enthusiasts who want a Pro just for having a Pro...a nice tower that you can upgrade, tweak, as you like. I would never be one with an iMac.

And I've built hackintoshes and used the EFIX chip.....my experience with that = big a$$ waste of time. And in the end you really don't save that much money. BUT..if you like dealing with update worries, crackling sound and crossing your fingers every time you boot the computer then it's probably for you.

2. gzfelix macrumors member

I only need a Quad-Core Mac Pro as a web programming/XCode programming machine. For web programming, I usually need to open a VMware instance for Windows XP, and maybe another for Windows Vista or Windows 7. I think Quad-Core plus 8GB to 16GB of memory would definitely fit my needs.

3. shadowfayre macrumors regular

While this does not directly answer your question, I have been pondering the same issue. When I do bite the bullet (which will be this month), I plan on going to the dual processor.

I would place myself in the enthusiast but mindful/reasonable category. In the past, I would always buy the best I CAN AFFORD and still end up upgrading 6 months later (dumb since I am not a FPS gamer or anything). Today I frankly want to get a machine that works (hence I do not build PCs anymore) yet feel that it was a good investment. I do not replace machines until I feel it is needed (not wanted) these days.

I am replacing the 1st generation MBP 2.0ghz unit, which simply does not do well under the latest software my job requires of it. Considering the cost and the goal of using this machine for 3 or more years, I believe the 700 bucks is worth it now. I wished that Apple offer a way to upgrade to the dual processor as an option, but that is not here or there.

I knew that the unit would end of costing me around 3400 bucks by the time I customized it before the info was released, so it is still cost to the budget I have set aside for it. Bit the bullet if you do not plan on replacing it in 6 months.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You're going to have trouble putting 16GB in a quad-core.

5. myca macrumors 6502

You can only get 8GB in the new quad-core, at least that's the official stance.

I honestly think that the new quad isn't as good value as the last mac pro base model (the 2.8 octo), so to answer the original poster, if you've got the money the 8 core would better value for the performance it should give.

6. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

here is the real dilema 2008 2.8 octo @ B&H for $2,399 or the new quad....:confused:

7. Dreamail macrumors 6502

No dilemma.

Definitely the old 2.8 octo!

Truly 8 cores (not 4 + 4 virtuals).
    And enough leg-room RAM wise to go beyond 8GB.

Nehalem technology does not offer that much in a single CPU config. The real memory bandwidth speed-ups happen in dual CPU configs.

p.s.
    Apple's new single CPU Mac Pro is deliberately designed with many limitations in order to upsell people to the dual CPU config. That is its sole purpose.

Apple knew that the high-end Nehalem CPUs would require a price hike (although they went far beyond of what would be necessary - which is upsetting, shame on Apple!). The only way to get people to buy into this is to offer an alternative that is so poor, that people will soon rationalize that the lower end option is not really an option.
    So they chose a single CPU that cannot be upgraded to a dual CPU config, and gave it only 4 RAM slots limiting each to 2GB. Deliberately crippled.

8. myca macrumors 6502

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's not impossible, but the only 4GB sticks I've seen, are Registered. Not the cheapest way to go. :eek: ;)

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

According to Apple it is. The quad-core has a max of 8GB. Says so in the spec.

11. superpalmtree thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate all the thoughtful replies!!

Thanks...sounds like me. I appreciate all the good responses. I figured I wasn't the only one with questions....The 8GB Ram limitation was the major factor that made me go for the dual.

I used to build PCs as well. In my tech business I'm a Dell Reseller and currently use a Precision T7400 with dual X5482's, (3.2)....I have never even skimmed the surface as to what it's capable of. I'm going to put that up on eBay when the new Mac Pro ships. I must say...I will miss Dell's business support...but I like OSX and being able to use any OS is a must.

Thanks for all the replies...

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple's maximum memory limitations are often not accurate. They want people to buy an 8 core if they want more than 8GB of memory so that is all they offer on the 4 core, which because of how they do things means that is the maximum supported.

13. superpalmtree thread starter macrumors regular

The new Mac Pro a must...

I've read people all over claiming to go with the Previous Mac Pro. I've already had at least 6 of that model over the last year and personally I'm ready to move on. I'm hoping the new model uses SATA Optical Drives -- the IDE cables really bug me. I would also much rather use DDR3 RAM than FBDIMMs. I believe when people start getting these the dual i7 will be a nice speed bump from the Harpertown. And I normally upgrade often and feel I got every penny possible out of the 08 Mac and now with the 09 the value will remain sky high until the next big upgrade.

BUT...the 08 is definitely a good value for those interested in getting a deal.

Thanks for the reply.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's due to the fact there are no 4GB Unbuffered DIMMs at this time. This will change, and likely in April to match Intel's official release of the Xeon 5550 series on March 29.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

The '09 MP does use SATA for the ODD's. :)

IDE has always been more difficult to route and make an nice, clean installation. It always seemed sloppy to me in that respect. But at the time, it was what was available, and it did it's job. ;)

If your needs are for memory intensive applications, you'd definitely benefit from the new architecture.

16. DLary macrumors member

Which would be faster for software that is not optimized for multicore computers. The quad 2.66 or the octo 2.26?

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

LOL, been there done that as well. I agree, NOT worth it.

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Wouldnt it have been great if the Quad core Mac Pro base model was $1699?

19. mingus51 macrumors member

Do you think the 2009 MP's will go down in price once these are out?

Are we being asked to pay a premium to have the newest first?

20. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I doubt it. Can you imagine the backlash?

21. superpalmtree thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome!

$1699 would have been great. I really don't need dual's, which is what I'm getting...I would have went with the single if it was $1999 or below.

How do you like your 24" LED? I bought that with my new Mac Pro...I'm not worried about the glossy screen..I actually like that. I currently use a Doublesight 26" and a Dell 37 LCD TV for secondary screen.

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Dont be so worried the 24" LED ACD is freaking gorgeous and very bright.

I have a window thats behind my desk and I dont see any reflections and its not as bad as the 15" macbook pro's glossy/glass reflections.

Only the black bezel on the edges I can see a reflection of the window but in no way it gets in your way.

You will LOVE the 24".

I just picked up a new mac mini and did all the little upgrades on it myself (4gb of RAM, 7200rpm hdd). I'm using it with my 24" LED ACD and it works very very well. Actually it feels like I'm running my 24" with a closed shell mode of a midrange macbook.

Anyway I'm going to happily chug along this setup until around this summer and see what Apple does to the prices of these Nehalem Mac Pros and see what the benchmarks are on these new sets of beasts. Oh and also to see if any problems arises too and let others tests it out for me. =D

23. superpalmtree thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Cool setup. Man, I could have probably got by on a mini instaed of blowing over 4K. HAHA. Was it pretty easy to upgrade the mini? Do you need special tools?

24. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I would love to see some of the 2008 single Quads show up at a $1899 or cheaper rate...found them nowhere - makes me think no one bought singles...or the resellers do not have any to discount...

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

No, I wouldn't expect a price drop at all. Apple tends to set an MSRP, and stay with it from what I've been able to tell. If anything, I'd expect it to go up before going down. Most likely to remain the same. ;)