Mac Pro Dims Randomly When Working

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OlympusCCS, Nov 2, 2010.

1. OlympusCCS macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Can anyone help me? I have been having a problem with my work Mac for a few months now and can’t figure it out. I have been searching for hours and have not seen another situation like it.

Hardware Background
    Mac Pro
    Two 2.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors
    3TB hard drive
    RAID Controller Card
    18x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB
    Apple Mouse Keyboard
    Samsung 24in Monitor

The Problem
    When I am using any software, the screen will dim like its in Expose’ or Dashboard without icons. Just dim… But the computer functions normally, just hard to see. It’s very frustrating and distracting. It also happens when moving folder windows around on the desktop and scrolling thru Adobe Bridge or in cover flow view. Almost like there is a “hot spot” for expose’ setup in random parts of the screen. But the windows don't move just dims on different levels of darkness depending on the “hot spot” or pixel.

I have tried different settings for Expose’ energy saving, Universal Access. I have tried setting up multiple accounts and dumping user preferences. I have tried reinstalling software and resetting PRAM and repairing permissions. I am running out of ideas :eek: if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

-Thanks

2. goMac macrumors 603

This sounds like your monitor backlight is bad, actually.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Can you try another monitor on your system, as well as try yours on another machine?

This would allow you to determine if the monitor is the problem or something else (i.e. graphics card, software/drivers, ...).