Mac Pro drive configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chipandegg, Jul 21, 2009.

1. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

Currently everything on my Mac Pro is on one hard drive (not the best idea). I would like to take advantage of using the other bays. Though I just need some advice/input for the best way to go about this.

Firstly, I would like to change the main hard drive (been in there since I purchased the the Mac 2 years ago), that is to clone it to another (new) hard drive and take the old one out and use the new as a replacement.

After which...

Is it best to keep applications and utilities on the same drive (I checked some of the other posts on here, some people do this, some don't)?

I was wondering what would be the best drive configuration to use, I am just starting to record audio in Logic, and many people say record audio on a separate drive.

Then there is a back up drive, I have Intego's personal backup on the Mac Pro as well as Time Machine. My question here is, if one drive records audio and the other(s) have apps on them etc, how easy is it to backup say 3 drives to 1?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=300230 (Useful thread)

2. OZMP macrumors 6502

Drive 1- boot. 7200.11, apps, user data, docs etc.
    Drive 2- media 7200.11 media etc video for encoding media server for the ps3 so it doesn't interfere with the boot drive when the machine is asleep. i store all my dvds on the mac so we dont need to get them out :D
    drive 3- back ups

I also go between boot/media for encodes, i try to avoid read/writing to the same drive through encodes, and i prefer to work off of a separate drive to my boot drive so as to try and avoid interfering with virtual memory read/writes. my theory but one which my audio engineer father follows. so you have an IT tech and a career sound engineer working off of that theory :p

take advantage of the ease of changing MP drives, and the price of quality drives, and if you use the MP as a work machine, have one drive per project, so they can be stored away for future reference. (assumption from your Logic use)