Mac Pro & Drobo

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mattww, May 26, 2009.

1. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

I recently moved from a Power Mac G5 to a Mac Pro and in general it has been a smooth transition. One frustration recently however has been using it with my Drobo.

I had two 1.5TB drives in my Drobo with some data. I connected it using FW800 as usual and created a sparse image for my Time machine drive. The Drobo was soon getting full so I added another 1.5TB disk. At first I couldn't get this to be recognised in either bay 3 or 4 - it span up but the green light never came on. I tested the drive in a separate enclosure and found it worked fine. As a last resort I unplugged the Drobo from the power and when it started up the drive was recognised!

The only problem now is I sleep my Mac Pro when not in use and although the Drobo will sleep fine whenever I wake my Mac the drives in the Drobo spin up - the green lights come on and then all the lights go out and it reboots itself. OS X then gives the device removal message as if I had pulled a cable.

I had seen this once or twice on my G5 but figured out it was when the Drobo hadn't been accessed and the drives were spun down - when putting the G5 to sleep the Drobo would start spinning up the drives just as the computer went to sleep. I got around this problem by making sure I accessed the Drobo before choosing sleep so the drives were spinning.

This doesn't seem to get around the problem on the Mac Pro a wake from sleep seems certain to cause a reboot of the Drobo. My guess is Time Machine is trying to access the Drobo within seconds and it isn't ready - unfortunately it doesn't handle this well at all.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Does the same behavior occur when you switch off Time-Machine?

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have the Drobo connected with FW 800. I never see this behavior is the Drobo updated to the latest firmware? I had a minor problem with bay 4 a few month's ago and updating to firmware 1.3.0 [1.248.15408] corrected it.

4. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

I updated the Firmware to 1.3.0 as soon as I set it up.

Good idea - I'll test that as soon as I can.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Alright well the reason I mention Firmware is because I had a very similar problem with Bay 4. I ran out of room and added a drive to Bay 4 it wouldn't do anything with it. I called Data Robotics and they asked what Firmware I had installed. At that time I had auto update off so I was still on 1.2 (Don't remember the exact number). So I installed the update and Bay 4 has worked perfectly ever since. I still leave auto update off, I like to do the updates manually so I can make sure I have everything on the Drobo backed up before I start messing with Firmware.

Anyway sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

6. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

I switched off Time Machine and when I woke my Mac Drobo stayed mounted!

Now I guess I have to work out if I should risk using an editor to change Time Machine so it doesn't start a backup on waking the computer (drive attach). I have a feeling switching it on and off will get tiresome. Alternatively I contact Data Robotics and hope they can change something with the Firmware in future.

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Or consider something like this that can control Time Machine…
    http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

8. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

Thanks for that - I'm giving it ago. I've used it to turn off the backup when waking from sleep and on attaching a drive but kept the standard 1 hour interval. It does warn that a backup may still happen if the wake from sleep is at the scheduled time. Hopefully this will at least keep the problem from happening very often.

9. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

Looks like I spoke to soon - after using Time Machine editor to prevent backups on waking I had a several successful wakes from sleep without Drobo rebooting. I have however now had two reboots anyway :(

Looking on Data Robotics site they blame a faulty drive that is slow to spin up. I know the drives are fine when connected directly to the Mac so it has to be an issue with the Drobo - the question is if it can be fixed with a Firmware update or if it is a hardware problem. All it needs to do is report to the OS that it will be available and then spin the drives up. It always takes a little while for disks to spin up from sleep so I'm surprised it doesn't handle this better already.

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I would try to get the Drobo replaced then, since it would appear to be a hardware issue.

Hopefully Data Robotics customer support will be helpful when you call them.