Mac Pro dropped

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rball1979, Dec 18, 2009.

1. rball1979 macrumors regular

Hey All
    So I just moved from the UK to the US and shipped a lot of my possessions including my 2006 Mac Pro. Of course, as this is a valuable item, it was insured seperated, through the removal company, in case of any accidents
    Low and behold when I unpacked the machine, the casing at the front indicates that it looks like it's been dropped pretty hard. So I contact my insuance agents who want me to provide a repair estimate and/or engineer report to back up my claims.
    Now here's the thing. The Mac is working fine at the moment and it "looks" like purely cosmetic damage but as we all know dropping hard drives and components can have detrimental effects.
    I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow to have them take a look but Iwas just really wondering how best to approach this and what people think. Anything similar happened to anyone?

2. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I would just tell the folks in the Mac store the truth. It's no big deal for them or you since the insurance company is picking up the tab, so I would say to the genius that you want to be sure it's not going to conk out in a month or two after the claim has been settled and to have them fully examine it.

At the very least, the insurance company should pay for an Apple engineer to put the innards of your current machine into a new case and to pay attention to the components as they are doing it, checking for damage.

3. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I would also try pushing for a new case. Ask the genius bar to estimate how much transferring your internals into a new case would cost... and ask them to write an estimation. :D

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just take it in, tell them what happened and let apple quote you something ridiculous.

I would be a little careful here though. Just because it needs a new case and apple does it I would make sure the warranty is still valid. Just the case could be bad now, but later something could go wrong.

Honestly between how much apple will want for a new case and the time, I would bet that the company may just buy a new one for you. You may make a strong case for this, at least I would.

5. JollyRogers macrumors regular

Unless you do this yourself, I am betting it would be cheaper to just buy an 09 4 core.

6. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Also keep in mind that this is a 2006 Mac Pro. The insurance company will prorate it for the amount of time you have used it. My experience with insurance companies is that you 'might' get away with getting a new case replacement minus any deductable, and not a new Mac Pro.

7. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

True, but make sure to read your policy carefully. Some companies offer the full replacement value.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

The case is actually multiple replacement parts (exterior & various internal P/N's that differ according to the model). Some of the internal parts may not be damaged, and can be recycled. The exterior unit is ~$300USD last I checked. So no way it's going to be close to the cost of the system.

But having it inspected/tested out is definitely a good idea, especially on the chance there is some internal damage.

9. rball1979 thread starter macrumors regular

I took it into the Genius bar on Saturday to get a quote and ran a few tests in addition to what I had already done. The hard drives "seem" OK as do the rest of the components.
    They've given me a quote for a new enclosure ($560) + a quote for the actual transfer of components to the new case ($135). They've also put a caviat on there stating that there is a need for further diagnostic testing, just in case.
    The guy was more than helpful and at the end of the day, I just want to make sure that my computer isn't going to fail in a months time or so due to being mistreated.
    The paperwork has gone off to the insurance company and I'll await their response.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Wow, 700.

Let us know what the insurance says.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

That does seem pricey, even for Apple.

rball1979: Can you elaborate on the extent of the case damage?
    Is there internal case parts damaged as well as the external part of the case?

12. rball1979 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes they were just as surprised as I was! They guess, around $200 before the processed the quote.

No there doesn't look to be any internal damage, it the front right piece that sits underneath the side panel which damaged. Managed to resize some pictures and get them uploaded. I know it dosen't "look" bad

Attached Files:

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Thanks for the pics. :)

Is the damage interfering with removing the panel?

I'm a bit stunned at that such a small amount of damage (appears to only need the external part of the case, not the internal bays, baffles,...) costs so much to replace by Apple. I recal spotting the external case part for ~$300USD on macpalace.com. It's been a little while, and there's some labor involved, but WOW.

14. rball1979 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah the panel is a bit more difficult to get off and doesnt really settle in its place when on.
    Im not sure if they just replace the entire closure as it's all under 1 part number at Apple (922-7346) or whether this is the possibilty of "transplanting" parts of the casing just to replace the damages.
    As I told them it was an insurance job, I think they just quoted the maximum possible just to ensure that I was covered in any event that they find additional damage when transferring everything to the new case. I wouldn't mind doing it myself but hey ho.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

It looked like it might, but I wasn't sure. But simply put, it's not just cosmetic damage that you could ignore/live with.

I seem to recall the total case = multiple P/N's, as there was the external portion, and mulitple internal parts (i.e. optical bay mount, HDD trays, and baffles differing between the models.

No idea, but as it's an insurance claim, they're not likely to offer them any discounts either. ;) :p

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Hopefully the insurance should come through 100% on this, good to hear the apple guys were so helpful about it, can't say I'd be quite as relaxed as you are if I were in your shoes, but at the end of the day, the insurance should cover it, you'll get a nice shiney new case out of it, it's all good really.

17. rball1979 thread starter macrumors regular

Well at the end of the day the machine works (so far) and it was insured seperately to all my other posessions for enough as so i could buy I new machine. One way or another, it will get fixed up.

Had a quick google of the P/N and it seems that that is the total enclosure without the power supply and even indy's seem to be selling them for $599. Will have to make sure that I keep my damaged one and sell it for parts at those prices!! :D

If it was in pieces, not working, I would be humming a different tune!!!

18. rball1979 thread starter macrumors regular

So received the email today that they are going to pay for a new case:

"Computer USD695.94 - as per repair estimate. At this stage the item is repairable and therefore does not warrant full replacement. If we were to offer full replacement insurers would have the right to collect your current computer as salvage."

Better than nothing I suppose!

19. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I'd say they're paying what they owe since the machine is otherwise fine.

Nice to hear that the company isn't trying to get away with paying next to nothing. I would have expected them to balk at the case cost from Apple.

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm wondering if that has to do with the country of origin as per the shipping & insurance contractor. The UK has better consumer protection than the US as I understand it.

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

How do your insurers work, do they pay the repairers direct or do they give you the money first. If it's the latter then you'd be better off eBaying the machine and putting that $700 towards a new machine.

22. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

My understanding was you're more concerned about any damage that may have occurred to the HDD's / other internal equipment that may deteriorate sooner than it would having since been dropped. Is that being looked at as well?