mac pro - dual 8800gts cards?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kez, Jun 24, 2008.

1. kez macrumors newbie

afternoon all,

i've been using a windows machine alongside my trusty powerbook 15" 1.33

however, i've finally got sick of the blue screen reboots and have ordered a shiny mac pro 8-core machine, which brings me to my question.

can i replace the stock 7300 card with my two 8800gts cards? will they work as standard, or do i need to mess about to get them to work under osx? what about if i dual boot with vista?

cheers for any help, and apologies if it's been asked before. i found lots of references to flashing 8800gt cards, but nothing about 8800gts cards. i have the 320mb bfg cards, if that makes a difference.

ta, kez

2. m1stake macrumors 68000

use the search function, this question gets asked about once a week. You can't use 2 8800GT's in SLI in windows or OSX, but you can crossfire two 3870's under Windows. They ship in late June from ATI.

3. kez thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply.

if you read my original post you'll see that not only had i already searched and found info on flashing 8800gt cards, you would have also noticed that i am talking about 8800gts cards (note the 's' - they're different cards)

with regards the crossfire ati cards - would that only give a benefit under windows? would this be a better option than the 8800gt upgrade available for the gen 1 mac pro?

i'm planning on ditching windows altogether so not too fussed about windows gaming

4. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron