Mac Pro Dual OS Installation

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macisgreat, Mar 22, 2009.

1. macisgreat macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just want to find out has anyone experimented installing 2 hard disks in your macpro and the 2nd hard disk is installed with xp pro via bootcamp?

Have you experienced any problems?

Would this be a better solution as compare to installing xp pro in virtual software?

Would really appreciate your input.

Cheers,
    Marky

2. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Apple's Bootcamp Assistant supports this approach, so I wouldn't expect any problems with the caveat that I have not set up my machine this way. Bootcamp's OS support is limited to XP 32-bit and Vista 32-bit only, so if you need to run something else then virtualization is the solution. Also, dual booting means you are running Windows or OS X and not both simultaneously. Since I bought a Mac mainly to run OS X, being limited to Windows is an unacceptable constraint.

I think the main appeal of Bootcamp is being able to run PC games in a native Windows environment. I don't use my machine to play games, so that appeal is not there for me. There may also be some specialized software that is Windows-only that needs the unfettered horsepower of native Windows, but I would think in most cases there are OS X analogues available. I would also think a requirement to run software such as that would be a fairly compelling argument in favor of not buying a Mac.

There is a thread on VMWare on this first page of this forum where people are talking about what they're running under VMWare. You ought to have a look at that thread.

3. wibongo macrumors newbie

Any Mac Pro 2008 and later and Mac Book Pro unibody (possibly earlier models, not sure) has BootCamp support drivers right on the main OSX install disk for VISTA 64-BIT.