mac pro dumb questions -?`

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by new-Mac-owner, Mar 28, 2008.

1. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

Why does the mac pro have two ethernet ports? And why would anybody need 32 GB of ram. Buying one soon and need some answers wheres the best place to buy besides apple and get one at a cheaper price live in the USA.-Thanks:apple:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Some people need lots of RAM for engineering and scientific applications. Ditto on the second ethernet port. You don;t have to use it if you don't have a use for it.

There is seldom any discounting on current model Apple equipment.

See the MR Guide to Buying Apple Hardware

Answers to many commonly asked questions can be found under the Guides tab near the top of this window.

3. nhallmark macrumors 6502

The Mac Pro tops out at 32GB of RAM. But, like CanadaRAM said, the main reasons to have that much are for scientific apps and audio/visual in some cases.

Re ethernet ports, usually one is for internet(duh :p) and the other would be for storage or to connect to an in-house network(or both). And yeah, unless you're looking for an older model, there really isn't any discounting on Apple hardware.

4. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

you can bridge the 2 gigabit ethernet ports for increased bandwidth using MP under OS X Server.

5. overcast macrumors 6502a

Second ethernet jack.

• Private network for testing/development
    • iSCSI connection to SAN
    • Routing LAN traffic
    • Bridging

Tons of RAM.

• Hosting virtual machines for development
    • Editing in audio and video applications
    • Serving applications/database/www/etc to end users
    • ZFS Pools

You done Roy? Or do I have to elaborate on each individual item, rather than the original poster doing some basic research on google.

6. Roy macrumors 6502

Now why couldn't you have done that in the first place and you wouldn't have come off as being, as you put it, so "condescending". Give him the information and let him make the decision about how he wants to spend his money. He doesn't need the "if you are so ignorant you don't know the answer already, then you shouldn't be asking the question" approach. Now he has some information that he can thank you for.

7. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

...and after that lovely exchange...

If I only ordred one superdrive with my Mac Pro, will it come with one drive bay door or two? The reason I ask is because I've seen pics of Mac Pro enclosures with only one door for a superdrive, but I'd like to be able to add my own second drive. I don't have to spend an additional 100 bucks for a second superdrive, do I?

8. overcast macrumors 6502a

No, there are two drive bays and doors.

9. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

Excellent! Thanks for the quick response, overcast.

10. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all. Have been a pc user for some time and want to switch everything to mac for the better-Thanks to all :apple:

11. GotPro macrumors 6502

Good luck.. and welcome. Most of us TRY to be pretty nice to those new to the platform ;-)

12. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks alot, Also Today I saw A open box mac pro 8 core for 1899.99 Im seriously thinking to pick it up tommorw maybe even tonight :apple:

13. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Just make sure you check it first.

14. deathshrub macrumors 6502

That would be a G5..

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Well I think 1899 for an octo is an amazing deal, and you should scoop it up as you will get a computer that will last you for a very long time. YMMV.

16. remmy macrumors 6502a

Heck what is with this fuss. I didn't know about the two ethernet ports and having 32gb ram although impressive is not the reason why I bought the mac pro, just because there is some interest.

I know I got mine for the 2.8 processors and huge amount of hd space I can cram in as well as the pretty descent os that is OSX 10.5

17. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Just because a Mac Pro can have two ethernet connections and 32GB RAM doesn't mean you have to use it, and just because you don't understand why those configurations are available doesn't mean you have no use for the machine.

I will say, though, that unless you are going to be doing some heavy video or design work (or some high-tech stuff that I don't even begin to understand) you could get away with an iMac for just about anything else.

18. drrich2 macrumors member

Folks, a person who knows the MacPro has 2 ethernet ports probably noticed the prices & knows his own budget/resources.

I, too, noticed my relatively new MacPro has 2 ethernet ports & wondered whether the 2'nd was particularly useful. For me, no.

And I've got 10 gig's RAM & probably would've been fine with 4.

BUT, I wanted the option to have lots of RAM, more than 1 drive bay to make back up & storage expansion real easy (added a 1 terabyte Samsung F1 for just that reason), maybe the option to someday add an internal Blu-Ray burner to the tower...and of course, a whole lot of power.

My point is, there are plenty of people enjoying MacPro's who don't know the major uses for a second ethernet port or what sorts of apps make great use of 32 gigs RAM. Otherwise, a lot of us would be in the iMac section of this forum.

On the RAM subject, it seems most people buy MacPros with the stock 2 gig RAM, then buy more at Other World Computing or other online suppliers since Apple has a rep. for bad price-gouging on memory upgrades.

Richard.

19. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

very well put and good advise.-thanks:apple:

20. Amigalander macrumors regular

So let's say someone had DSL and Cable, plugged 1 into each ethernet port, what would happen?

I assume this would be similar to the "dual core" issue where software had to be written to be able to take advantage of it.

21. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

You would have to choose one internet source in the network preference panel.

22. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"I will say, though, that unless you are going to be doing some heavy video or design work (or some high-tech stuff that I don't even begin to understand) you could get away with an iMac for just about anything else."

I am glad you didn't speak with my wife before I bought mine :D

I went a little crazy by purchasing a Pro, too. But an IMac is a desktop laptop! I wanted a Powerhouse! Some folks do the same with motorcycles, and watches, and wine, and....ya know...

Cheers

Jeremy

23. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

yup,feel the same about watches haha o well Its only money:D

24. gunbu macrumors newbie

I'm also a relatively new switcher from PCs, and I just stuck in the DL DVD burner from my PC in the second slot of the Mac. Works great, but remember to take the "face" off the tray before you put it in.
    I love getting my hands dirty with computers, and the Mac Pro is definitely the best designed tower I've ever seen.