Mac Pro DVD drive remove riplock

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ben1l, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

I want to rip my dvd collection and am getting really annoyed about the long rip times on my Mac Pro, 4,1 with a HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N Super drive.

I understand it's because of something called riplock in the firmware of the drive. Is there any way of removing this??

Thanks,

2. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

3. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

I'm surprised this isn't a more common complaint/talking point. It's seems so utterly bizarre restrict the operating capacity of a component JUST to keep it working quietly!

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

5. gobsmacked macrumors member

The ./ in front of the necflash is telling the OS to execute the program in the current directory (that Terminal is in). You probably put it in your downloads or on the desktop.

There are a myriad of reasons for wanting as quiet a computer as possible.
    The Silent PC site has tons of information including things like underclocking the CPU JUST to keep it working quietly. (Yes, I realize there are other reasons one might want to underclock but that's why they are doing it)
    I'm in the camp of those that are happy to have my DVD drive slower but quiet.

6. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

I just hate that something is throttled back. Ok you want it to be quiet.... I want it to be quick. How much coding could be involved in adding a "Quiet Mode" check box in a preferences window somewhere??

What if you're in a massive rush to rip something, wouldn't it be nice to just have the option to allow the piece of hardware that you paid good money for, work to it's maximum capacity?

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The feature is literally called "riplock", not "make quieter". Clearly the whole point in the first place is to slow down mass ripping. Providing a checkbox defeats the real purpose. The "making it quiet" part is a nice piece of marketing BS.