Mac Pro DVD drive wont Read CD's????

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Pedro86, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Pedro86 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a last gen. mac pro, attached is the system profiler view. I haven't ever really used CD's in its dvd-super drive but I have started to recently.

It Wont read them, just makes a strange noise, Im guessing searching for it, and then either stops, ejects itself, or posts a error saying it isn't readable.

From the tech speck it should be, they are CD-R. I have put in and burnt lots of DVD's etc so there is no problem with that.

Has anyone had a similar problem, is it possibly a problem with the lense? I know that CD & DVD have different reading intensities. Or could it just be that it needs a good clean? I took out the DVD drive and it was dust as can be, gave it a clean, but would prefer not to open it up.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. grue macrumors 65816

Could be a laser problem. I'd personally suggest buying a Pioneer DVR-115 and slotting it in, they're all of about $20.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Before buying another drive, I'd get one of those lens cleaning discs and give it a run through. It helps my work laptops when they start not burning or reading.

4. grue macrumors 65816

It's one thing with a laptop, but with a totally standard PC IDE DVD±RW drive, I'd just replace it. Hell, the cleaning kit will cost about the same.