Mac Pro DVD Player - Loud!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TSparger, Jan 29, 2009.

1. TSparger macrumors member

Are the DVD players on the most recent Mac Pro's inherintly loud or do I have a problem? I just used my DVD player yesterday and it was so much louder than any of the players that I've ever had on a PC.

2. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

Mine is first gen and it's loud also. Two bays both are loud.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

4. remmy macrumors 6502a

It is loud, there is nothing wrong with it (unless it is very very loud) the dvd drives are just not so good. There are past threads on this which also recommend some alternative drives you can slot in instead.

5. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

That's kind of odd that Apple chooses to install, what sounds to be a cheap media player, no pun intended, in one of their top of the line computers/workstations.

6. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Loudest DVD/CD tray I have ever owned.

Sounds like a jet taking off!

I have the 2.8ghz octo.

7. grue macrumors 65816

I don't recall what mine were like originally, but I reflashed both of my Pioneer DVD±RW drives to remove region locks and the godforsaken RipLock feature.

For those who aren't aware, certain drives have a feature enabled in firmware to run the drive slower when DVD-Video disks are in the drive so they don't run super super loud when watching a movie. This also dramatically slows down rip speeds when using Mac The Ripper or Handbrake. Reflashing the drives can remove this, as long as you're willing to deal with more noise. Personally, I keep my machine under my desk and out of the way, so I don't give a damn about the noise.

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

I still dont know why they didn't put in slot loading drives

9. grue macrumors 65816

Because slot loading drives are for the consumer toys. They're less reliable, less versatile, generally slower and more expensive. There's zero benefit for pro users. Not to mention there needs to be at least ONE Mac that can use the godforsaken Mini-CDs and Mini-DVDs

10. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

I am assuming that the next Mac Pro is also likely to have a loud optical drive from the factory so personally I was intending to purchase a Pioneer DVR-216DBK to replace the stock drive as it is supposed to be very quiet. This is a SATA drive (I guessing the next Mac Pro will use SATA for the optical drive bus) - there may well be a PATA equivalent for the current model.