Mac Pro DVD RW Problems...Is it severe?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kitki83, Sep 16, 2007.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Trying to find maybe similar stories in MR but lucked out. I have MP that the Rom would eject but when i try to close the tray I would hear some type of movement but wont close. I move the tray a bit and try closing it and worked. Now after three times, it went back to unable to close. Does this seem the drive might be failing? It reads and writes so far fine but the closing is an issue.

I have the Pioneer DVD RW DVR-111D

As for taking to get it fixed, I payed for my Apple Care since 9/1 because my warranty expired 9/11 but I have yet to see the check cashed nor get some notice that they received it, kinda worried it got lost in the mail. So not sure it would be cheap to go with Apple instead of doing it myself.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Just buy another pioneer DVD RW drive and put it in yourself. Optical drive upgrades are among the most easiest ;).

Do not forget to pop off the front of the bezel on the new drive so it can fit through the Mac Pro's drive door., you may even want to put on the bezel that Apple has on the original drive.