Mac Pro DVI cable..is this the right one?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Souljas, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Souljas macrumors regular

heyy..

I am going to be putting my mac pro in another room and therefore need a long stretch of cable for the monitor. I am going to be connecting the monitor end of the DVI cable to a wall-plate on the wall. I was just wondering if this cable will work with the MacPro and connect to a wall plate? or do I need a M/M cable for the wall plate?

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/41248/index.php

also...on the apple website it says 'dual-link DVI', is this the same as DVI-D as in the link?

thanks
    Soul

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

That will work fine as long as you are using a digital signal. If not you would need a DVI-I cable. And example would be using a VGA monitor on a DVI connection.

DVI-D is digital only. It excludes the 4 pin array around the long pin.

DVI-D Dual Link, is when using resolutions higher than 1920x1200. So a 30" ACD for example.

You are paying more for the dual link, that site doesn't seem to have a single link extension cable. So if you bought from there you would have to get the one linked.

If you aren't doing higher than 1920x1200, I would look for a nice single link extension cable.

3. betelgeuse1 macrumors member

betelgeuse1

Just an FYI, be careful of how far you're sending the video signal. The official DVI spec only specifies a signal distance of 5 meters, so depending on the video card you're using, you might see some video degredation (pixelation, flickering, etc.) See this link for more info.

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

HomeAVCables Is A Cheaper Better Source. They Have Free Phone Support

A cheaper better source of long run DVI cables is HomeAVCables.com near Dallas. Call them and ask for advice on which of their much more inexpensive but high quality cables you should buy.

Toll Free: 866-302-9989

They are the BEST and they are the cheapest.