Mac Pro (early 08) no power, no POST

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hakukani, Mar 13, 2009.

1. hakukani macrumors regular

I've had my 8 core mac pro for a bit over a year now, and it's been a great little box---til now.

I live in a fairly humid climate, so I've always pretty much left electronic things on most of the time--they seem to like it.

However, over Xmas, I took a trip, and turned all my gear off. When I returned, I pressed the button to start my mac pro---nothing, nada, like it was unplugged still. Being an OK troubleshooter, I started by making sure cables were ok etc. Did a search to find if anyone else had a problem. Then, I looked up how to reset the SMC. Up until the 8 core, there was a button. No more on the Mac Pro 8 core. They said unplug for 15 seconds to reset. No joy there.

I had determined to take it to a shop, and decided to try one last time before I put it in, a couple of days later. Voila! It booted! Everythings cool......

Until the beginning of this week. While I was out, there was a short power failure, and it started the same thing.

Sorry for the long post, but TIA for any ideas. I'm still scratching my head....

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Only thing I can tell you is to ship it off to apple care.

3. Caviar macrumors member

Hi, I'm new here. I was browsing this forum cause I was curious about the New Mac Pro's and came across your post.
    And decided to sign up to reply.

To the main topic...
    This is just a guess, but maybe its a condenser problem in your power supplier or mother board. So you may need to replace the power supplier or mother board. But this is just all a guess.
    And if the reason is the condenser, the reason why it doesn't boot up after leaving it off is the heat.
    If the condensers are warm enough, there might be a chance it will boot up again. But after its completely cooled you'll have a really hard time turning it on. Even if you successfully turn it on, you might run out of luck eventually.

So like jjahshik32 said, you should send it to Apple.

4. hakukani thread starter macrumors regular

Well, there's a happy ending.

Thank you Caviar, for giving me the idea. I set the unit in the sun for a couple of hours, and it fired right up.

Apparently it's a function of cold and humidity. It's been rainy and around 52-68 degrees for the past week or so (I'm in Hawaii-we don't heat or cool our houses).

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

either way u need to get the power supply or something replaced, it shouldn't matter what temperature the machine is under.