mac pro early 2008 doesn't sit flat

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Col127, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Col127 macrumors 6502

hey guys,

just got my mac pro (early 2008) with 8800 yesterday. my mac doesn't sit flat on my table - there's a bit of wobble to it. any body have the same problem? sure it doesn't affect my machine in any way, but i expect my $3k investment to sit nice :)

2. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

You're table is not flat! :D

Hey, if I didn't say it, someone else would....

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Mine is grand .. :)

If it really bothers you, place a mouse mat under the front and another under the back, that will do the trick .. :cool:

4. Col127 thread starter macrumors 6502

i suppose apple wouldn't exchange it for me because of that?? heh... that's a defect to me!

5. deathshrub macrumors 6502

6. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I "totally" understand you on this. I haven't received mine yet, but when you spend $3k+ on anything brand new, you want it to be just that... brand spankin' new. I bought a Jazz bass from Fender (ordered through Guitar Center) and it came with a tiny tiny ding in the finish. I returned it and fully admitted to the sales guy that it's probably neurotic, but I just like things new. In other words, it didn't effect the sound of the bass and I probably will ding it like that within a week, but it's the principle.

That said -- and assuming you've tried it on several surfaces you KNOW to be flat -- you could always take it into the Apple store you bought it from and claim it's doing the "reboot after sleeping" thing and say you want a replacement. They are all aware of this problem and should exchange it for a new one with no questions asked. (This is assuming you didn't get a BTO from the online store). Other than that... you'll get over it. Nothing is ever perfect.

7. iSail macrumors newbie

Assume you've checked, but just in case...does it have all four of the plastic/nylon/whatever pads on the bottom?

8. casw1000 macrumors member

Mine is the same, front left corner. I thought it was me at first. must admit that is so far the onlt thing i have found wrong.

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Hey,

They sell some wheeled thing that fits right under it. I may get it for mine. Not sure yet. Mine sits on the floor, on the carpet. It's got a bit of a wobble to it. I wish I had the link to the wheeled thing to give you, but I bet someone will come along with it before long.

10. newtech macrumors 6502

Hmmm... case is racked, what did the box look like when it arrived? UPS and FedEx are none to gentle when transporting, seen many many carrier mangled G5 cases. Stands to reason the MP cases would get the same shipping abuse and defects.

11. DWS macrumors member

I made my own wheeled thing, it's called a dolly.
    Just get some 5/8" ply wood, cut it 20" X 9", and screw on four 3" castors (two fixed and two swivel) with rubber tyres. Glue some sheet rubber on top, and there you have it.
    Wheels around nicely anywhere. You could even put a handle on it and take it for a walk down the street.

12. DWS macrumors member

If the case has a slight twist in it, you may be able to grab it by the top two handles and try and give it a slight twist in the opposite direction.

13. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Be grateful you didn't get one with a USED condom in the case.

Didin't really happen; just saying to make you feel better about your ugly Mac Pro.

14. newtech macrumors 6502

One truly needs prophylactic measures to prevent that. :p

15. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Mine wobbles.

I assumed it because of where I had placed it on my desk. I need to get some sort of dampeners level it out.

16. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

No, I was talking about this:

[​IMG]

The G5 Skateboard. Also shown is the G5 roof. Pretty elegant solution if you ask me...

17. DWS macrumors member

Yes that does look nice.
    I mainly made my contraption to be practical. It keeps the MP 4.5" off the floor, so avoids vacuum damage, the wheels are big enough to roll on plush carpet, and the two front swivel wheels enable me to pull it out from under my desk and turn it around to access the side panel.

Oh, and it only cost about $25.

18. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

Could that be considered built in virus protection?

19. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

yes take my mac pro for a walk and a pee

20. Col127 thread starter macrumors 6502

heh that's pretty cool :) I like that. don't have a use for it, but i like it!

21. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

You ride your Mac Pro......... Where's the steering wheel. :rolleyes: