mac pro early 2008 + ipod not charging through front firewire port

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Col127, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Col127 macrumors 6502

hey guys,

i've noticed when i plug my ipod via firewire on the front of my mac pro (early 2008), it doesn't charge it. i've tested this on two different ipods, a 3g ipod and an ipod nano. my mac will see the ipod is connected, and i can transfer files from it and itunes will recognize it, but it won't charge the ipod. i can't even turn my ipod off when it's connected.

is there something wrong with my firewire port?

i have an older generation mac pro at work, and the ipod charges just fine when plugged into the front firewire port.

any ideas??? thanks!

2. martinlk macrumors member

martinlk

An iPod nano with firewire does not exist. If you meant to say USB, I think that the 3G iPod will not charge over USB, but only firewire.

3. Col127 thread starter macrumors 6502

you can still charge an ipod nano via firewire - the computer won't be able to transfer for files, but you can still charge via firewire.

and as i said, i was using a firewire cable for both ipods. it doesn't charge.

4. jeffmc macrumors 6502

a 3g ipod will be able to transfer files via usb but not take a charge. a nano IS capable of charging/transfering via firewire.

have you tried any other devices? it does sound like a hardware issue with the firewire port obviously if other firewire devices are not working as well.

5. Col127 thread starter macrumors 6502

my mac will see the 3g ipod connected ; i'm able to transfer my files onto my hard drive, but it's not charging the ipod... does it sound like the firewire port is faulty because it seems like it's kind of working? just not fully. not sure what's happening.