Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marsupilani

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2006
If your drive controller device ID matches the one that is in the AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext then you can simply install the kext using the tool mentioned above or install the kext manually if you know how and then reboot.

If it does not then you will need to edit the Info.plist file inside of it and rename / change device IDs accordingly.

If you need some assistance with that let me know.

The bootability of the card I am using is sometimes hit or miss. Once I've been able to boot into OSX I can bless the drive on the card to boot from and it will reliably boot every time. I have on occasion made the mistake of telling the computer to boot into windows which changes the blessed drive and then it is very difficult to get back into OSX. BUT if I do want to use an alternate OS all I need to do is option/alt boot and then it doesn't mess with the drive blessing and it works without issues.

I am now running Sierra and the GTX650 is now my only graphics card and it has been flashed with a custom EFI ROM to provide boot displays.

Hi, i have the same issue, and the KEXT file won't do the job.

My card is SEDNA - PCI Express (PCIe) SATA III (6G) SSD Adapter with 1 SATA III port, that I bought from Amazon.

Here's the specs of the card from the SEDNA's web site, and the Information System from MacOS SIERRA.

Can you help changing the Kext file to match this card? Thanks

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2017-01-27 à 15.47.22.png
    Capture d’écran 2017-01-27 à 15.47.22.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 457
  • Capture d’écran 2017-01-27 à 15.51.31.png
    Capture d’écran 2017-01-27 à 15.51.31.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 297

safari70

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
ON
If your drive controller device ID matches the one that is in the AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext then you can simply install the kext using the tool mentioned above or install the kext manually if you know how and then reboot.

If it does not then you will need to edit the Info.plist file inside of it and rename / change device IDs accordingly.

If you need some assistance with that let me know.

Hello, i just installed a Sintech "M.2 SSD to PCIe X4 adapter" (http://www.pc-adapter.net/products/788.html) with a Samsung SSD, it's booting perfectly fine but it shows as external disk with the Orange icon on the desktop.

i tried AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext but the PCIe card still shows as generic and the SSD as external. I can't find the information for my adaptor that needs to go in the plist file inside kext (for e.g. chipset, etc.). I looked on sintech website and in System Report - Any pointers how can i find it so i add it to the plist file?

Thanks.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
My card is SEDNA - PCI Express (PCIe) SATA III (6G) SSD Adapter with 1 SATA III port, that I bought from Amazon.
Can you help changing the Kext file to match this card? Thanks
This should do it.

Keep in mind to install this you will need to disable SIP and you will need to disable kext signing enforcement.
After installation you could re-enable SIP if you wanted to but you will still need to have signing bypassed.
[doublepost=1486348858][/doublepost]
I can't find the information for my adaptor that needs to go in the plist file inside kext (for e.g. chipset, etc.). I looked on sintech website and in System Report - Any pointers how can i find it so i add it to the plist file?
You could determine the PCI Vendor ID and Device ID using lspci for Mac or using DPCIManager.app.
Once you have that information the kext plist file should be updated like I did for the previous poster.
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/DPCIManager.shtml

Attachments

• AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext - ASMedia - Marsupilani.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 655

safari70

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
ON

harlansmart

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Nouvelle Zélande
Thank to the Forum, and thanks for all the useful info & helpful threads.
============================================

This is an older thread, and sorry for the hijack but could someone help me out maybe?

Trying to use Disk Utility to RAID 0 2 x SM951 AHCI on 2 x Lycom DT-120 in Slots 3 & 4 of my flashed 5.1 cMP.

Don't know how I did it before, but this time I can't get them formatted into RAID 0

Have tried doing it from Disk Utility from a bunch of different OS's all the way down to Mavericks...

Wondering if it's because I can't get them to show up as 'Internal' this time round... so am trying the kext patch...

The kext file I'm using is the generic one... maybe someone could mod it for me, please?

Have been trying for hours to mod it successfully now without success :headbang: !!

My cMP's System Info shows the following for the 2 Samsung AHCI SM950/Lycom DT-120's

Generic SATA Express Controller
Vendor: Generic
Product: SATA Express Controller
Physical Interconnect: PCI
Link Width: x4
Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported
SAMSUNG MZHPV256HDGL-00000
Vendor/Sub Vendor ID 0x144d
Device/Sub Device ID 0xa801

Last edited:

harlansmart

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Nouvelle Zélande
Is my problem of being unable to RAID 0 the 2 x SM951 Samsung discs because they're being recognised as 'External'?

They're on Lycom DT-120 cards, Slots 3 & 4 in my cMP 2009 Flashed 5.1

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Is my problem of being unable to RAID 0 the 2 x SM951 Samsung discs because they're being recognised as 'External'?

They're on Lycom DT-120 cards, Slots 3 & 4 in my cMP 2009 Flashed 5.1
That sounds likely. I don't think apple would have supported using their software raid on external drives.

harlansmart

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Nouvelle Zélande
Thanks Ludacrisvp & appreciate the thread + your confirmation.

Last time, last year (pretty) certain I used that 11kb generic kext on the 1st page to get my 951's to show as Internal, now I can't get that kext to work, and tried the others in this thread, and tried chopping them up & sticking in my device string ID's but thats where I'm screwing it up I think.

So.... just need the right kext patch to fool my cMP into thinking the Samsung SM951's/Lycom DT-120's are Internal !!

harlansmart

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Nouvelle Zélande
Could someone please tell me if there is a more in-depth thread on this issue - I am trying to get my cMP to recognise the Lycom DT-120/Samsung AHCI SM951's in Slots 3 & 4 of my cMP as 'Internal' so I can put them in RAID 0 again.

I'm trying to modify the kext files, from #5... replace their Device ID's with mine etc but I am not succeeding.

Does anyone know of a more in depth discussion on this, I'm failing badly.

Ludacrisvp said 'If your drive controller device ID matches the one that is in the AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext then you can simply install the kext using the tool mentioned above or install the kext manually if you know how and then reboot.

If it does not then you will need to edit the Info.plist file inside of it and rename / change device IDs accordingly.'

My cMP's System Info shows the same for Slot 3 & 4:

Generic SATA Express Controller
Vendor: Generic
Product: SATA Express Controller
Physical Interconnect: PCI
Link Width: x4
Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported
SAMSUNG MZHPV256HDGL-00000
Vendor/Sub Vendor ID 0x144d
Device/Sub Device ID 0xa801

I've been trying to substitute what I think are my 'drive controller device IDs' into these kext files, taken from the 1st page of this thread (Post #5) and drag the kext file into the Kext Utility app (with no success), I think it's maybe (very likely?) because I don't know the proper Device ID's & Chipset names etc, to substitute into this file, nor where to substitute exactly... can anyone give me a pointer or steer me in the right direction?

In bold, some of the stuff I have tried changing, likely all the wrong beta that needs to be altered:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.tonymacx86.AHCI_3rdParty_SATA</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>AHCI 3rdParty SATA</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.0.0</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.0.0</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
<key>AppleAHCIDiskDriver</key>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>AppleAHCIDiskDriver</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>25000</integer>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOAHCIDevice</string>
<key>Protocol Characteristics</key>
<dict>
<key>Physical Interconnect</key>
<string>SATA</string>
<key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
<string>Internal</string>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>IOAHCISerialATAPI</key>
<dict>
<key>ATAPI</key>
<true/>
<string>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCISerialATAPI</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>IOAHCISerialATAPI</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>25000</integer>
<string>IOAHCIDevice</string>
<key>Protocol Characteristics</key>
<dict>
<key>Physical Interconnect</key>
<string>SATA</string>
<key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
<string>Internal</string>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>Marvell 88SE9120</key>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
<key>Chipset Name</key>
<string>88SE9230 AHCI</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>AppleAHCI</string>
<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
<string>0x01060100&amp;0xffffff00</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x92301b4b</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>15000</integer>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>Vendor Name</key>
<string>Marvell</string>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>NSHumanReadableCopyright</key>
<string>MacMan @ tonymacx86.com</string>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Local-Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I know, it's probably really easy, I think I'm too stupid.

Attachments

• AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 414

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
That sounds likely. I don't think apple would have supported using their software raid on external drives.
Some time ago as a lark, I setup 4 USB3 flash drives on a USB3 hub in raid0 using Apple raid, they definitely were shown as external but I had no problem getting it to work.
BTW, the performance wasn't too bad either for USB.:p

I got the idea from here.

harlansmart

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Nouvelle Zélande
Cheers jbarley,

Appreciate the response & this morning I read all that thread, particularly liked the Minion USB's he bought lol.

minion-drive-160x140.jpg

So I spent the day messing with it, and in Mavericks managed to get the 951's to appear in 'About This Mac' as Internal (well more accurately they stopped being shown as External).... this was the discs setup as RAID 0 but it just makes a 512GB disc GOD... not showing at External though, so maybe the kext files I have been trying partially worked, dunno.

About This Mac.png

Unfortunately they still show up in System Information/Storage as External... currently setup as a Striped RAID 0 which turns into a single 512GB disc..

System Information:Storage.png

System Information PCI...

System Information:PCI.png

Disk Utility can be used to Mirror them, Concatenate them but if you Stripe them in RAID 0 it just keeps making a 512GB single disc.

One of my issues now, might be, is that I can't easily disable SIP since I gave away my old GPU & I have no easy way to boot into Recovery Mode which might be quite helpful otherwise.

So yeah, dunno if I can get these discs back in high speed mode (Striped RAID 0) with my current set-up & skillset!

111TheMac111

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2018
This should do it.

Keep in mind to install this you will need to disable SIP and you will need to disable kext signing enforcement.
After installation you could re-enable SIP if you wanted to but you will still need to have signing bypassed.
You could determine the PCI Vendor ID and Device ID using lspci for Mac or using DPCIManager.app.
Once you have that information the kext plist file should be updated like I did for the previous poster.

Ludacrisvp ive been reading this thread and much props from what ive read so far, genius seriously. If you dont mind i have a tech question for you sir. Im running 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 EMC2180 with 2.5 SSD to PCIe adapter (https://www.owcdigital.com/products/accelsior-s) as my boot drive. it works pretty good as far as reading the card and actually booting from it. Now the problem im having is getting my boot camp to install or even boot from the card even if i install on my sata port and than move the drive onto the pcie card after. I have tried everything and even called OWC and they told me the card wont boot using boot camp. I pretty much accepted the fact that this adapter will not work till i came across this forum and reading the few things you did with the kext stuff. Mountain Lion is my OS so i believe that version still has alot of options as far as adjusting permissions, My drive shows up as an external drive im thinking that has alot to do with Windows not allowing me to boot from the card due to Secure Boot or something like that. If you could help me with some guidance or possibly editing a kext file i could use i would be so thankful, at this point i have literally tried everything i can thin of. Either way you are the man!!! Respect

TimRedBeard

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
Connecticut
This should do it.

Ludacrisvp this is a great thread, however I as well as the other poster am having some difficulty finding the info on the device I have installed as a PCIe card on this MacPro. Right now I have the OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCIe SSD found here (https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDPHWE2R480/) If you have time and would be so kind, could you edit the kext file to include my cards information, I have included screenshots of what I'm seeing using DPCIManager and from the About This Mac section. Any help would be appreciated. I have installed all the Kext files on this thread and none of them made the card show as an internal drive.

Thank you for your time.
Tim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.47.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.47.20 PM.png
    424.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.47.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.47.38 PM.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.48.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.48.09 PM.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.48.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.48.15 PM.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 280

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Ludacrisvp this is a great thread, however I as well as the other poster am having some difficulty finding the info on the device I have installed as a PCIe card on this MacPro. Right now I have the OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCIe SSD found here (https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDPHWE2R480/) If you have time and would be so kind, could you edit the kext file to include my cards information, I have included screenshots of what I'm seeing using DPCIManager and from the About This Mac section. Any help would be appreciated. I have installed all the Kext files on this thread and none of them made the card show as an internal drive.

Thank you for your time.
Tim

Based on the info from the screen shots I see you have AMD 5770 and one Marvell device, the rest seems to be stock.
So that would mean to me that the Marvell device must be the new drive controller.
I do feel like this is some false advertising to you from them, while it is a PCIe device it is just attached to SATA, so it is by no means as fast as the NVME PCIe cards used by the MacBooks and the nMP.

Vendor ID: 1B4B
Device ID: 9230
Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller

That being said, I'd expect that this one should work for you.
Install it using dPCIManager and reboot, maybe twice and you should see the change.
Be sure to remove any previously installed version first.

Attachments

• AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext - TimRedBeard.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 457

TimRedBeard

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
Connecticut
Based on the info from the screen shots I see you have AMD 5770 and one Marvell device, the rest seems to be stock.
So that would mean to me that the Marvell device must be the new drive controller.
I do feel like this is some false advertising to you from them, while it is a PCIe device it is just attached to SATA, so it is by no means as fast as the NVME PCIe cards used by the MacBooks and the nMP.

Vendor ID: 1B4B
Device ID: 9230
Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller

That being said, I'd expect that this one should work for you.
Install it using dPCIManager and reboot, maybe twice and you should see the change.
Be sure to remove any previously installed version first.

Yeah it's odd the file you send me didn't work, I restarted multiple times. It's a very odd card, it's setup with two blades on the card itself, I've attached a picture, I think they run in RAID on the card. I'm sure if I put just a PCIe card with a 2.5" SSD in the MacPro one of the generic kext files would work. But this one is very strange. Even with the Drivers for the card it still shows up as an external device. Not a big issue as I can just change the icon to look like an internal device so the user doesn't get confused, I'm just a bit OCD like that.

If you have any other ideas, that would be great. Thank you for helping it's great to have such a huge community of people that are passionate about helping others with tech.

~TRB

Attachments

• IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 296

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Do you have SIP enabled still?
You have to be able to load unsigned kexts for this to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.