Mac Pro (early 2008) vs (Refurb - April 2007)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adger560, Jun 20, 2008.

1. adger560 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I saw a refurb deal on the Apple store for a Mac Pro 8 Core 3.0Ghz at a similar cost (actually a bit cheaper) than the 2.8 Ghz 8 Core Mac Pro. Naturally I jumped on the deal, but now I have cold feet, and I am wondering whether I am best to return the computer under the 14 day return policy, and order the 2.8 Ghz model,

the reasons I would do this -

a) I feel like the 3Ghz clover-town model is somehow inferior despite a higher clock speed, because the entry level 2.8Ghz Harpertown has a better internal archiecture and a newer chip - also things like SSE4 (and stuff like that - stuff I dont really understand, but when the newer one has it and the older one doesnt I get worried I have bet on the wrong mac)

b) the newer model is shipped with twice as much Ram and a larger hard drive

c) the newer one can be ordered with the Nvidia GT 8800 512mb,
    whereas my refurb comes with GT 2600 256mb

d) Apple upgraded their Mac Pro line in 2008, although its irrational I feel that putting a load of dosh into the 2006 model was a bit silly.

Are any of my concerns legitimate? or am I just being stupid? I think its just because I have the option to return it under the 14 day return scheme that I am questioning my purchase and whether it was the right decision to make.

any advice is greatly appreciated

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I personally would have bought the newer model, however:

The 8800GT and 3870 XT (both brand new mac cards) are both available for your machine.
    RAM is much cheaper for your machine than it is for the newer model.
    There both 64 bit.

Speed wise, there both the same even though yours is a higher clock.

3. quicksand macrumors newbie

I was in the same position a couple of days ago - I went for the 2.8Ghz 8 core.

More memory, hard drive space, newer architecture. It made sense to me to go for the newer system - was only £100 extra.

I'm sure in reality there's next to no performance difference between the machines - both will be very fast and will be a serious step up from my old machine!