Mac Pro Early 2009 Fan Control V1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Inconsequential, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Ok here it is for anyone who wants to use it:

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.thunder-keep.co.uk/site/MP2009fancontrol_source.zip

Im working on a V2 which allows for separate control for each zone, but its a learning curve for me!

If anyone wants to lend a hand then please contact me/post here.

Also bugs report in here!

Thanks CR :)

Edit: Currently the installer doesn't give the daemon the correct file properties and OS X will tell you it needs to fix it and restart, YOU MUST FIX IT AND LET IT RESTART.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. dzam macrumors newbie

How to remove whole application?

Hi!

I tried to use FanControl for my Mac Pro, but I decided not to use it because built-in fan control works fine for me.

So, how to remove the whole FanControl? I deleted the system preference panel, mut looks like FanControlDaemon is still running after boot thought. So, what to do?

3. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

Its in Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon

Delete the folder :)

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, either this "Fan Control" or smcFanControl is really only for people who find that their systems run too hot. If yours is within reasonable limits you don't need either one.

5. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

Mine hits 90C core temp, within design limits or not, my overclocking past tells me that's too hot :p

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yes! LOL! 90c is like, OMG! :eek:

With no fan adjustments my cores hit 65c ~ 75c under extended 100% loads with an ambient of 27c. Under those stressed conditions FB DIMMs are usually about 10c lower than that and HDDs should not be influenced by RAM or CPU temperatures. Core temperatures under typical operation (web surfing, photo editing, torrent, and music listening) ranges from 35c to 55c depending on which core I'm looking at and what I'm doing with in those software packages. Magnus's CPUTest is a nice little stress tester for looking at this.

If anyone is at 65c ~ 75c at idle or hitting much above that in 100% load conditions then they are a candidate for smcFanControl - or your Fan Control when it's ready. I for one am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Hurry up dude! :D

7. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

What system is yours tho?

Mines the new Nelham, and thus goes wayyyy hotter than it does with HT off.

Its 75C load with HT off which is what is expected.

As for development, kinda stuck tbh! :(

I've duplicated the code 3 times to allow the separate control of each section but can't for the life of me get that to be controlled by the control panel :(

It's beyond my coding ability! I guess I need to get learning but I need to learn C++ and that is sadly getting priority atm :(

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

x5355 in the 2006 MP system.

That doesn't sound correct to me. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8022325&postcount=14

Get on the IRC channels. There's a very VERY active MacDev channel on freenode: irc.freenode.net #macdev
    Those guys helped a lot with porting LW over to OS X and getting it 64-bit capable. A great resource!

9. dzam macrumors newbie

Hi guys again!

First I need to say that I'm sorry but I'm a bit noob with Mac Pro related temperature things...Need to also say that my English isn't the most beautiful thing in the world but I hope that we'll understand each other. :)

Anyway, I also have a early 2009 Mac Pro and I've been following what happens in CPU-temperatures if I render HD-video with AfterEffects or other stuff like that, which puts load in CPU.

After all I'm maybe a bit worried. I noticed that in 88-100% idle my CPU-temp is 38-53°C and if there's some load (e.g. 50% of load) it's 50-60°C. When there's about 80-95% of load, temperature hits 70°C after a little time.

Funny thing is that fans remains below 1000rpm but as soon as CPU temp hits 70°C, fan named "BOOSTA" rises to 1020-1200rpm. After that CPU gets cooler (60-65°C if load is about same as before fan-rise), and that sounds reasonable for me.

But is there something I should worry about? Should I use some kind of fan controller, or are these normal temperatures for early 2009 Mac Pro's?