Mac Pro eating graphics cards?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SCLlama, May 6, 2009.

1. SCLlama macrumors newbie

So, I've got 2 ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT's in my 3.0 8-core Mac Pro (early 2008), which I use to run 4 monitors. A couple weeks ago, one of my cards just stopped spitting out signal. My computer also began starting up strangely on occasion where the screen stays white (where the apple logo would appear). At which point I've had to do a hard reboot (and then it works perfectly the second time every single time). I also noticed a slightly strange, but very brief sound just as the drives are spinning down when the computer being shut off.

Now, all of a sudden, none of my 4 DVI ports are giving signal. The computer seems to turn on OK, but I don't really know where to begin. Any ideas?

Rest of the setup is:

- 4 Seagate drives
    - OSX 10.5.5
    - 6GB ram (trans int'l)

Thanks-

2. hakukani macrumors regular

I installed 10.5.8 on my 2.8 Ghz early 2008 mac pro with the standard ATI radeon 2600 XT graphics card yesterday.

All was fine for awhile for a couple of hours, then suddenly the monitor went blank. I rebooted, and not only was their no DVI output on either connector, the fan on the Radeon was really noisy, like it was going .

Is this a logic board, PCI express bus problem, or is the video card hosed?

3. MacVidCards Suspended

It's a $15 video card that Apple charged you $150 for.

You may very well need a new one.

I'd recommend the XFX 4870 per my thread. Instead of just paying 10X the markup, you'll get 10X the card.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Have you tried a PRAM reset?

You'd be amazed at how many issues are solved with this little proceedure. SMC reset as well. :)

Worth a shot at least, as it's far cheaper than new card(s). ;)

5. hakukani macrumors regular

I'll try a PRAM reset, but the early 2008 8 core mac pro doesn't have an SMC reset.

I'll also look into the graphics card recommended.

edit: I looked into it. I don't know how I can flash the graphics card, when I don't have a graphics card that I can load drivers. I use Windoze XP in parallels, not boot camp. Is there another way?

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I thought the 4780 didn't need flashing and would just drop right in. No?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's my understanding that there's two possibilities. Either flash out the firmware with an EFI version, or use injectors. Supposedly, the flash method will work a little better (stability), but the injectors are easier, and can allow the use of cards that haven't been successfully flashed.

I've not done it myself, so I can't say for sure out of personal experience though. This is just what I've gleaned from other members.

8. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I bought one and flashed it. Easy as pie, worked the first time right off the bat. Check out Swissman's guide in the 4870 thread, complete How-To.