Mac Pro - Education Discount & Custom Orders at Store

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by olemed, Aug 8, 2007.

1. olemed macrumors member

olemed

Hi, I am want to purchase a Mac Pro - I am not sure how much longer I can wait, but I'm getting desperate. Anyhow, I work at a College and qualify for an educational discount. This weekend there's a tax free holiday in Mass. but because I already qualify for the education discount, I cannot order a Mac Pro online and get the tax free credit, otherwise I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Our school's apple rep suggested I go to New Hampshire and get what I want there since there's no taxes there. However, here's my question - if I order a Mac Pro with the ATI video card and both the bluetooth and apple extreme card will the prices be the same as I would pay on the website (ATI is $224 more and BT & wireless is $71 more) because of having to open up the computer and adding these options? I called an apple store and the guy said he was "not sure" but told me to come to the store with a print out of what I wanted from the education page. Obviously, I want to be sure before I do anything. It would be sweet to save $180 in taxes. If anyone has the answer, I'd appreciate it. I'll have to hunt down our apple rep for an answer to my question, which I didn't think of until later.

2. fredr500 macrumors regular

Call the Apple store online. Call them today, tell them what you want to do.

We had tax free weekend in NC last weekend. I called the online store a week before, during a slow time, and got the order entered and put on hold. I then called direct to my saleman (he sent his direct number) during the weekend and said go. It was a short call, I got it all tax free and the education discount.

They didn't ship the mac pro until yesterday, and I confirmed it is shipping with the new iLife! I didn't want it to ship unitl after the announcement, so it was great.

So call now and get the ball rolling.

Fred

3. olemed thread starter macrumors member

olemed

Fred, that's awesome to hear. I remembered today that I have a former student who used to work for me work up near the Boston store - he's a Mac genius, so I'll give him a call tomorrow about this. Only problem is that I want the ATI card and that puts me $94 over the $2500 alloted limit for a tax free purchase. I could get the stock card and just update later I suppose, but it's more money.