Mac Pro EFI and SMC Firmware Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released a Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update in your Mac OS X Software Update. The update is described:

This EFI Firmware Update fixes several Boot Camp and start up issues on Mac Pro computers. If the firmware update doesn't run automatically, open it manually in the /Applications/Utilities folder.
Also available is a Mac Pro SMC Firmware update:

The SMC Firmware Update adjusts fan behavior in the Mac Pro. After this update has completed successfully, your SMC Version will be: 1.7f8. The updater application will be installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically after restart.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
Hopefully this will address the issues some users have seen with the Mac Pro apparently not being able to boot beyond a black screen when using the XP disc to boot from. Although I would think that is more an issue of GFX than firmware on the Mac Pro...maybe they're the same thing!

Also, why two different downloads? Surely they could be incorporated into the same file...

Uber

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
its interesting that every intel mac so far, other than the mac mini, has needed a SMC update (if my memory serves me correctly).

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Austin, Texas
topgunn said:
Not everyone will want to install BOTH updates.
everyone WILL have to install both updates, you can not update the SMC until you update the EFI, the SMC wont even show up in Software Update until the EFI is done

also, i did the SMC update, and the fans are so freaking loud, i mean LOUD

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
atticus1178 said:
everyone WILL have to install both updates, you can not update the SMC until you update the EFI, the SMC wont even show up in Software Update until the EFI is done

also, i did the SMC update, and the fans are so freaking loud, i mean LOUD

Do you mean "whilst" the update is happening the fans run at full speed, or after the update applys your fans are stupidly loud? :confused:

With a pending order of the mac pro, the last thing I wanna go through is powermac G5 fan hell again......

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
nihilisticmonk said:
Do you mean "whilst" the update is happening the fans run at full speed, or after the update applys your fans are stupidly loud? :confused:

With a pending order of the mac pro, the last thing I wanna go through is powermac G5 fan hell again......

Yes, please elaborate on what you mean, I don't want to update if it's going have my fans running full speed at all times.

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Austin, Texas
nihilisticmonk said:

yeah, just during the update, they blast off for about 10 seconds, it actually sounds like a small airplane taking off (thankfully my mac pro is secured between my desk and the wall :) )

but NO, the fans are not loud all the time now, they sound just fine, but after the update (according to temperature monitor) they are about 10 degrees F cooler now at idle

Origin

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Nantes, France
I'm a bit confused, because, I can't update the EFI ... I strictly followed the instructions. Poweron while holding the power button... then some secondes after speed flashs of the led (I mean stroboscopic) and then just a long BIIIIIP and normal boot after that ...

Tried many times, any hints ?
Thx a lot

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Origin said:
I'm a bit confused, because, I can't update the EFI ... I strictly followed the instructions. Poweron while holding the power button... then some secondes after speed flashs of the led (I mean stroboscopic) and then just a long BIIIIIP and normal boot after that ...

Thx a lot
I'm in the same boat. It beeps, I see the update bar but the DVD drive pops open and then shuts -- then normal boot. Ugh!

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
UberMac said:
Hopefully this will address the issues some users have seen with the Mac Pro apparently not being able to boot beyond a black screen when using the XP disc to boot from. Although I would think that is more an issue of GFX than firmware on the Mac Pro...maybe they're the same thing!
You can't boot XP from CD on a Mac. You can't you can't you can't. The Mac boots using EFI, which XP doesn't support.

You need to use Boot Camp to install it, as legacy BIOS emulation has to be loaded specifically for XP.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
atticus1178 said:
they are about 10 degrees F cooler now at idle
That's good. One would conclude that they are now running slower and quieter at idle since they are not as hot at idle -- much better than the Power Mac G5.

syrianos

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Origin said:

Thx a lot

i have the exact same problem, i can't get update to work, i unplugged all the usb and firewire cables etc. nothing, beeeeep, reboot, grey screen, apple and circle for normal boot... frustration.

i'm running startup disk in sriped raid, can this influence the update?

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Austin, Texas
carletonmusic said:
I'm in the same boat. It beeps, I see the update bar but the DVD drive pops open and then shuts -- then normal boot. Ugh!
that is what mine did and was fine, it popped up a windows saying the update was complete, check your firmware version in System Profiler

Origin

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Nantes, France
bigandy said:
You can't boot XP from CD on a Mac. You can't you can't you can't. The Mac boots using EFI, which XP doesn't support.

You need to use Boot Camp to install it, as legacy BIOS emulation has to be loaded specifically for XP.
YES YOU CAN OF COURSE, I did NOT used Bootcamp application to install my MacPro Under XP, just put the CD and go ;)

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
bigandy said:

Incorrect information. Move along.

Mac Pro already contained the legacy bios emulation built into the EFI (bootcamp has nothing to do with this) from the factory. You can boot directly to a XP CD without loading bootcamp. Bootcamp is a collection of drivers.