Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foo10

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
There's also more updates out.

About Xserve EFI Firmware Update 1.0
This update is recommended for all Xserve users and improves the performance and reliability of Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/xserveefifirmwareupdate10.html

About MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.4
This update improves the performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo processors and fixes issues with Boot Camp for MacBook Pro computers.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproefifirmwareupdate14.html

About MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.1
This update improves the performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo processors and fixes issues with Boot Camp for MacBook computers.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookefifirmwareupdate11.html

About Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.2
This EFI Firmware Update fixes several fan behavior and Boot Camp issues on Mac Pro computers.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macproefifirmwareupdate12.html

About iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.2
This update improves the performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo processors and fixes issues with Boot Camp for iMac computers.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacefifirmwareupdate12.html

About Firmware Restoration CD 1.4
The Firmware Restoration CD can restore the firmware of an Intel-based Macintosh computer.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcd14.html

About Numbers 1.0.1
This update primarily addresses issues with tables and performance.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/numbers101.html

About Pages 3.0.1
This update primarily addresses issues with change tracking and performance.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/pages301.html

About Keynote 4.0.1
This update primarily addresses issues with builds and performance.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/keynote401.html

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Code:
This update is for Mac Pro computers with Intel processors only.

Note: Print or write down these instructions before you begin the update.

To update the firmware on your Intel-based Mac Pro:

1. Quit all other open applications.

2. Click Shut Down in the Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update window and wait for your computer to shut down.

3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac Pro until the status light flashes repeatedly or you hear a long tone, then release the power button.

A status bar indicates the progress of the update.

Important: Do not interrupt the update.

Your computer restarts automatically when the update is completed and opens the Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.

4. Click OK, if the firmware is now up-to-date.

If these instructions appear on your screen again, the firmware update was not successful. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Just updated it. Seksy.

The Windows logo now looks fine! It doesn't stutter or give a garbled image anymore.

I still can't go back to Windows if I restart from Windows. Also the bluetooth issue is not fixed.

We must be very close to Leopard, it seems.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Hmm I think the new update crapped on my Windows partition. I can't get into Windows properly anymore.

What's wrong with you Apple? Don't you test the updates before releasing???

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Anyone notice whether or not this fixes the burst of fans when powering-on or waking from sleep-mode?

(I used to be able to quietly turn my Mac Pro on in the middle of the night WITHOUT waking the entire house - before the last fan-control firmware 'update'!) :(

EDIT: Nope!

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Anyone notice whether or not this fixes the burst of fans when powering-on or waking from sleep-mode?

(I used to be able to quietly turn my Mac Pro on in the middle of the night WITHOUT waking the entire house - before the last fan-control firmware 'update'!) :(

nope it did not.... but it did eject my optical drive tray....:confused:

numkem

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
Just did the upgrade, everything seemed fine till i wanted to reboot to windows. There, black screen, nothing showing and the computer doesnt seem to do anything, after a little while, on of the drivers spins-up and strat ready i assume than the computer reboot itself.

Tried to do a repair and same things happen. Seem to be a problem with bootcamp itself, is there a way to fix this? Any ideas? Or we'll have to wait for leopard...

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003

My system has always done this. It had nothing to do with the last update....do you have an x1900 because i think that is what makes the noise. From what i have heard its before the OS X controls (and or the EFI controls) kick in to control the fans it goes into a "safe" mode.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Hmm I think the new update crapped on my Windows partition. I can't get into Windows properly anymore.

What's wrong with you Apple? Don't you test the updates before releasing???

I haven't tested bootcamp yet

If Apple fried my Windows I'ma be pissed

numkem

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
I haven't tested bootcamp yet

If Apple fried my Windows I'ma be pissed

Mine doesn't work anymore but i think its more in the way that the EFI doesnt run the BIOS part that make Boot camp working, your partition will still be fine, it just wont boot in the worst case, like mine.

Hope everything is fixed before leopard.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Mine doesn't work anymore but i think its more in the way that the EFI doesnt run the BIOS part that make Boot camp working, your partition will still be fine, it just wont boot in the worst case, like mine.

Hope everything is fixed before leopard.

Yeah, I can use parallels to boot of my boot camp drive, but I can't use it through bootcamp (hangs during the windows logo screen).

cheers.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Just an update, all is working fine now under Windows.

I just remembered that I added the /3GB and /PAE switches in boot.ini, and before the EFI update, Windows didn't care about it and ignored it. But now those switches were active and cause system problems. I removed them both by editing the boot.ini file from within OSX, rebooted into Windows and all is great.

The major issue that I saw fixed was the crazy flickering during the Windows boot screen, and now my memory says 1.99 instead of 1.98? That's about it.

numkem

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
Just an update, all is working fine now under Windows.

I just remembered that I added the /3GB and /PAE switches in boot.ini, and before the EFI update, Windows didn't care about it and ignored it. But now those switches were active and cause system problems. I removed them both by editing the boot.ini file from within OSX, rebooted into Windows and all is great.

The major issue that I saw fixed was the crazy flickering during the Windows boot screen, and now my memory says 1.99 instead of 1.98? That's about it.

My problem is the screen goes completely black and at some point my lcds will go in standby. I tried at least 8 different OS, from XP to Vista, Linux and even Solaris. The update went successfull, no problem whatso ever beside that.

Do you have the 1900XT?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
My problem is the screen goes completely black and at some point my lcds will go in standby. I tried at least 8 different OS, from XP to Vista, Linux and even Solaris. The update went successfull, no problem whatso ever beside that.

Do you have the 1900XT?

Yeah I have the ATI card, check my sig.

As far as your problem...have you tried going into save mode? Once you hit the Windows icon from the OS select menu, start hitting F8 until you get the Windows boot menu. Choose safe mode and see if there are any problems that you can fix from there and if it boots at all.

numkem

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah I have the ATI card, check my sig.

As far as your problem...have you tried going into save mode? Once you hit the Windows icon from the OS select menu, start hitting F8 until you get the Windows boot menu. Choose safe mode and see if there are any problems that you can fix from there and if it boots at all.

I wish i could see something, like i said my monitor doesnt get any signal and go into sleep mode after few seconds, the video card doesnt seem to get anything out.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
Mine is not working? I get the "click shutdown" screen, but when I do, it just shutsdown. I have to press the button to get it back on, and then the update screen comes back up.

Any ideas?

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Mine is not working? I get the "click shutdown" screen, but when I do, it just shutsdown. I have to press the button to get it back on, and then the update screen comes back up.

Any ideas?

When turning on the machine you have to hold down the power button until it blinks or makes a beeping noise and it will begin doing the firmware update.

stillinger

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
What does the update actually DO?

I can't seem to find a more specific list of fixes / changes with this one.

I'm specifically interested in whether or not it fixed the automatic fan speed control that didn't seem to be working at all in Windows.

I've had to do some pretty janky workarounds to get the fans to actually cool the darn thing enough for me to play a game or two. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.