Mac pro EFI Firmware Update Issues (Could mid2010 users check their utilities folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rossagrant, Nov 27, 2010.

1. rossagrant, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

rossagrant macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I was new to the Mac Pro so a couple of days ago Iwhen apple update found the EFI firmware update I told it to download it.

It did this successfuly and turned itself off.
    Now I didn't realise you had to hold the power down until it flashed to install the firmware so I was baffled when it kept finding the same update to download.

I eventually figured out what i had to do and now the update isn't found anymore when I click check for updates so I presumed it was all done fine.

I have just opened my utilities folder to use grab and I noticed that the EFI Firmware Update logo was the generic one that displays when you first install software before it associates the real logo with it.

I thought that was a bit weird and so I clicked on it only to be told that:

You can't open the application Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update because it may be damaged or incomplete.'

Does that mean the install didn't work and how do I find out if it did?
    I tried downloading the EFI update 1.5 (presume that is the latest one, but might be wrong) from the Apple site but upon running the pakage I get this message:

This software is not supported on your system.

can anyone help me to either reinstall the latest version so that it all works okay or find out if I am running the latest version.

Thanks so much :)

2. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

4. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info guys.

Before I start meddling though, if there was a firmware problem would my mac even work? maybe with this happening to a couple of people it's a glitch with the update and not necessarily in the way I have applied it.

Would be interesting if other people with mid 2010 mac pros could check their utilities folder and see what they have?

Would appreciate anyone having a look and letting me know,
    Thanks!

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

The app is just an app on the harddrive. EFI is on a chip on the motherboard.

Thinking the two are connected is stupid.

what happened:

you download patch
    you run install patch
    after installation (successful or unsucessful) patch probably self deletes to save space, hence your error on trying to open it again.

questions?

6. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I've had my Mac Pro just 2 days and had no idea at all that the 2 things were not connected.

The same program on my macbook can be opened and tells me I'm upto date so don't think it wipes itself after installation but on reflection if the EFI wasn't up to date or wasn't successful, I doubt the machine would boot up properly.

Maybe just a glitch, I don't know but just thought if others with a 2010 could check if they had the same, then I'd be better informed.

If it makes me stupid then fair enough, every day is a school day.

7. gabicava83 macrumors regular

Give the guy a break, he's only just started.

We all have to learn and it's all done through experience.

Same as you did at some point ;)

8. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Mine does the same thing. If you check in System Profiler, the Boot ROM version should be MP51.007F.B03. If it is, you're all set :)

9. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

Dissolve, looks like I'm up to date then. Thanks so much for taking the time out to check for me. Puts my mind at rest if this seems to happen on others too.

As I said on my Macbook pro you can open this app and it tells you your are up to date but with it saying it was damaged on my mac pro, it had me a little unsure.
    Thanks again :)

10. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I agree, the behavior is strange. I find it bizarre that this application is kept around at all after applying the firmware. Maybe someone else knows of a situation that can be useful. If I had tried running it like you did before reading this post, I'd have been concerned too.

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

On an 09 Mac Pro it sit's in the utility folder and says this if you click on it...

Attached Files:

12. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

Here's the pics of the app in my Utilities folder on my mid 2010 Mac Pro after installing firmware 1.5.

You'll see the app has no proper icon and the error message saying it is incomplete or damaged when you try to run it.

Is this what you get dissolve?

Attached Files:

13. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Yep that's exactly what I get. Very strange as an EFI update on my old MBP a few years ago gave similar results to what Cynicalone attached.

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

+1
    I like this guy's thinking..

I really don't see the point why someone who's had a brand new machine, would want to mess about with the firmware. Seriously, if you don't experience any hardware issues with your machine, patching it with the latest isn't gonna make any difference!! (assuming it's successful).

Ahh, Apple's done that because that particular version of the firmware is for a specific model.

15. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I only performed the firmware update as the auto updater had the box ticked when I ran it, so I certainly wasn't messing.

Well if everyone with a 2010 mac pro is getting this and our machines still work then I guess we're fine.

Just an interesting observation if nothing else!